Hardinge 5c Collet Indexer

I do have triangle stones , files are faster , I'll use stones when I get it close and polish file marks out thanks.
All else fails I'll just use collets , but a chuck would be good,

Oops now I feel real stupid, turns out the collet indexer is 2 1/4 10 tpi the thread protector that came with it is 8tpi that's why it won't go on !. My heavy 10 lathe is 8tpi , works real good on it , the indexer at the machine shop must of been 8tpi not ten. I don't have a 2 1/4 10 tpi chuck so won't be able to use a chuck on it any how, but I hope I didn't ruin it
Guess I should of double checked things after marks reply , don't take anything for granted. o_O
Derrick

dlane,
You suspect there's any reason I asked that question? o_O Went 12 miles back to the hardware with the wrong bolt. Well at least now it's an easy fix.
Mark

The coarsest thread my HLVH will cut is 10 TPI. Hence the 10 thd. nose on your Hardinge accessory.

They seem to only use 10 TPI even on HLV lathes with threaded spindles rather than the normal tapered ones. I have read that many threaded spindle models were sent to England years ago.

I will mention that 12 TPI is the strongest thread there is. If you ever see a heavy hydraulic press,with large diameter threads,they will be 12 TPI.

Perhaps Hardinge settled on 10 TPI rather than 8,is that 10 TPI is stronger than 8?

Oops now I feel real stupid, turns out the collet indexer is 2 1/4 10 tpi the thread protector that came with it is 8tpi that's why it won't go on !. My heavy 10 lathe is 8tpi , works real good on it , the indexer at the machine shop must of been 8tpi not ten. I don't have a 2 1/4 10 tpi chuck so won't be able to use a chuck on it any how, but I hope I didn't ruin it
Guess I should of double checked things after marks reply , don't take anything for granted. o_O
Derrick

Are you sure of that O.D.? My Hardinge literature indicates this is a 2 3/16" - 10 TPI thread. It wouldn't surprise me to find that some copies of the Hardinge indexing fixture, when supplied with a threaded spindle, would have 2 1/4 - 8 thread.

David

old_dave is correct. Hardinge uses 2 3/16" - 10 TPI. That is what is on my Hardinge dividing head and was also used on some HLVH lathes. If. in fact it is a Hardinge collet indexer, I suspect some one built a new spindle to be able to use a chuck they had on hand.

Darrell

I'm out of town for a week so I can't tell rite now but I'll sure check that dimension when I get back home.
Don't believe I'll be using the threads , but will use the 5c collets . It is a Hardinge 5c collet indexer.
Thanks for the lesson " don't take anything for granted x2" it did come with the 2 1/4" x 8 thread protector half on it.
Thanks
Derrick

Back