Hardinge 5c Collet Indexer

dlane

Active User
Registered
I picked this collet indexer almost free , the threads have a problem , the thread protector dose not screw on all the way neither dose my SB 10l chuck , but they do screw on my 10l lathe all the way.
The threads look / feel fine , I only need the threads for chuck installation, 5c collets works fine
Any one know a way to tell which thread has the problem this is as far as it goes on.
Thanks
Derrickimage.jpg

I am wondering did you check the thread pitch? how do you know they are the same thread. Just asking
Mark

It has the same threads as my SB heavy 10 lathe , the protector threads all the way on the lathe but stops half way on the indexer. You think blueing the threads and installing the protector tight would tell anything ?.

can you see and dings in the thread on it or?

It has the same threads as my SB heavy 10 lathe , the protector threads all the way on the lathe but stops half way on the indexer. You think blueing the threads and installing the protector tight would tell anything ?.
Bluing the threads was my first thought.

Timage.jpg I wonder if anyone makes a die 2 1/4 x 10 tpi , afraid I'm going to file it out of round. Brought it to a local machine shop he had same indexer and his t protector stops short also, but my t protector works on his indexer.

Last edited:
A Hardinge should have hardened threads, or at least case hardened and polished. Get a triangular India stone and lightly run it around the threads to detect and repair any high spots. The issue could also be on the major diameter and a flat India stone run over the top of the threads will work well for that too. Even if you found a Die it may do more damage than good. When in doubt put some layout die on the threads and work the thread protector on and off and see where the last point of contact was.

Ok I'll keep blueing and filing shiny spots.
Thanks for the advice
Derrick

Back