Hand shaper

bet that would be great for making a rack
Yeh Billh50 I'm Guessing you could use it for making a small rack .As pointed out to me in a previous thread it needs a new handle made at some stage but when I get the chance I'll bolt it down and have a play around with it .I'm sure it will keep me amused .I only picked it out to save it from the fate of the scrap man and it quite possibly can be quite a handy tool

There's a town in Australia named Chiang Mai?
NO Bob I am Australian but have lived in Chiang Mau Thailand for about 13 years I have my small hobby room set up there for when I'm there and not at work .I o my have Chinese lathe and mill but can manage with it so long as not to greedy on cuts it's ok 20170916_074238.jpg 20170916_074313.jpg

Martin Model and Pattern made a small shaper casting kit called the Strong Arm shaper that was modeled after the Adept shown above. The base is different, everything else seems similar, but I don't think anyone has ever compared them side by side. Yours looks complete except the arm, I expect Gary would sell you an arm casting if you wanted, but purchase price and shipping to Australia would probably be way more than just making one from stock. Enjoy.

http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools.html

The shaper you have purchased looks in nice condition, The only thing which seems to be missing is the handle at the top of the tool slide , not a problem to make a replacement , Shapers are very useful little machine tools, Your machine is an Adept, Made by the firm of Fred W Portass in Sheffield England, They stopped production of thes machines in the mid 1960/s I have the power version of this machine, driven by a 1/4 horse Power electric motor for small odd jobs I find it an extremely handy little machine tool
Do you have any pictures of your small shaper with electric drive I'm interested to see it .see how much difference between units there is .It has crossed my mind if I could power this one some how with small electric motor

Back