Hand Me Down Grinder

They all said it , wow you done good . Nice to get a gift like that. Good luck and keep her clean.

I should be getting my phase converter parts today, so I'm trying to figure out what a good starter wheel would be. I'm looking at 7" od 1/4-1/2" wide that will be good for hss lathe bits, end mills and drill bits. In this application not sure which hardness or grit would be appropriate. Looking for suggestions.

Regarding grinding wheels and grits etc, Google and you can download "Advanced Grinding Practise", by Hamilton and Jones dated 1915. It's one of the classic turn of the century machinist texts relating to grinding practice. Lots of good stuff still applicable to technique and materials. I think there is a chapter or two on form grinding and tool grinding. Also two chapters relating to grinding wheels and media. Of course newer technology is around, including some decent videos on u-tube, but a lot of info in the publication is still valid.

Regards
Glenn

I pretty much have most of the surfaces de-rusted and verniers readable. I purchased and mounted a 2 axis DRO from tpac tools. I got a couple arbors and wheels too. I tried dressing one of the wheels but it seems like the dresser must be worn down past the diamond. Need to order a new one of those and start reading the instruction manual. My FIL says it was mostly used for sharpening drill bits so I think I will start there.

Don't underestimate the amount of grit and dust that thing will throw out. Mine is on casters so I can roll it to the door. Even then I don't grind unless the wind is right.
Ultimately I will dedicate an isolated corner for grinders and come up with a serious air and dust evacuation system

Back