Hand Me Down Grinder

maker of things

Hermit
Registered
I accidentally inherited a Hybco 1900 tool and cutter grinder with model 2100 relief attachment from my FIL this weekend. I was asking him about helping me grind the thread chasers for my Geometric head and he offered me this grinder! This machine was retired from the toolroom at one of his former employers. He helped mothball it 20+ years ago. Later he worked at the same place under different ownership about the time they decided to clean out the storage facility. The maintenance guy was handing out scrap passes and my FIL wanted the surface grinder he helped put away. The maintenance guy said he had to take the Hybco also. It's been sitting in his shop for 8 years and he was thinking about scrapping it out because he didn't need two grinders. I had to condense my woodworking equipment to make room for this beast. Other than surface rust, every thing works smooth. I think I will have a few (lots of) questions since I wasn't really planning on getting into grinding yet.
upload_2015-12-14_7-24-40.png

what brand of thread chasers, i worked for besly taps and we made j&l thread chasers

That is a really nice tool grinder. Take the time to clean it up really nice and then learn how to do all the things it can do for you.
:you suck:

Thanks for the kind words Bob ;) I feel very fortunate for having the opportunity to be a recipient of that sign.

I'm promising myself that I have to finish my mill cnc conversion first, but I kinda think I will be working on this sooner than I should. I already acquired naval jelly and Zep purple degreaser and a breaker, wire, plugs and a motor to make a phase converter. I bought a copy of the owner's manual for the fixture so hopefully I can work it out with a little help. I think I figured out which sopko wheel mount and nuts I need to at least put a wheel on it. My FIL said it was mostly used to sharpen step drills and has the 2 place cam installed for relief so I'll probably start with drill bits and go from there. It came with another fixture that might work to hold the Geometric dies, but that might be a few projects down the road.

Nice FIL you have there
I cannot disagree. I tried convincing him to take some money, but he would not have it. "Well I didn't really pay anything for it" was his response. I even tried pointing out these things go anywhere from $2500-$9000 on ebay, but he wouldn't budge.

Fortunately I had just modified my HF shopcrane after seeing Franko's mod to fit the base of my 12z and that worked perfectly for this rotund fellow
upload_2015-12-14_18-17-34.png
upload_2015-12-14_18-18-25.png
upload_2015-12-14_18-19-30.png

Back