Grizzly Tech Support Recommends Cutting Replacement Gibs to Length? - Disappointing Experience!!!

Re: Grizzly Tech Support Recommends Cutting Replacement Gibs to Length? - Disappointing Experience!!

That sounds like a good plan. Once they are mated up, small end to big end, mike them up end for end to see if the tapers are the same. If so, you are on the right track. Thin them up and have a go at it.

Re: Grizzly Tech Support Recommends Cutting Replacement Gibs to Length? - Disappointing Experience!!

Yes, I miked them and they are good to go. I need to get some indicator so I can test on my granite block. May as well check it before making too much investment machining them.

Well, Grizzly tech support didn't help. "it is what it is". I completely understand that the gibs are rough and over length so they can be fitted and lapped or scraped to fit. But being too thick requires the ability to machine or grind a precise taper (or use the trick I'm thinking about using as described above). They are going to elevate this to a senior tech but I'm not holding out hope and it will take up to 48 hrs for a reply. So, I am going to proceed with milling these down as described above. I can use my twisted Y gib for this work since I'll be fly cutting along X only. Now I need to decide how I want to proceed with scraping. I might try lapping first as I have everything I need to do that.

cheers,
Michael

Back