Grizzly Lathes at Home Depot

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Are they doing the same "marketplace" thing like Walmart and Amazon does? It looks like it's sold by Home Depot but it's online only and likely only "middle manned" by them. One more player in the game isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
Are they doing the same "marketplace" think like Walmart and Amazon does? It looks like it's sold by Home Depot but it's online only and likely only "middle manned" by them. One more player in the game isn't a bad thing.

Yep, this is exactly what they are doing!

I have never found a use for these Amazon want-ta-bees. Even with Amazon I check prices else where as some of the stuff on their site is egregiously expensive. The one thing all of these sites have in common are absolutely useless reviews of the products!

For home improvement supplies I skip Home Depot, Lowes and Amazon and go right to SupplyHouse.Com. I only go to the home improvement physical stores if I am in a panic to get something immediately. Most of my orders from supplyhouse.com have come in 2 or 3 days... which is better than Amazon can do!

The issue i have with the reviews is that they are done through some aggregator site and not actual purchases from whatever store you're shopping at. There's also the issue where they list multiple options of a product which then results in the same reviews for drastically different things. I think Amazon has this type of thing happen the most or maybe i just notice it there more.

The point of posting this was that there is another option available if someone is planning on buying a Grizzly lathe. Home Depot is usually my last place to look when I am looking at buying. I don't know what other Grizzly products HM is selling. I would expect them to sell products more on the woodworking side. It would merit further exploration.

edit: A search on their website for Grizzly turns up 413 hits.

They also sell a few Jet lathes, and ShopFox, which may be part of Grizzly. Anyway, yes, they are a "marketplace" site these days.

I just looked at the link to the lathe on HD. The ad copy says, "If you're in the market for s small lathe that doesn't skimp on rigidity and is priced under $1000 ..." But their sales price is $1129. That's OVER $1000!

Perhaps they just copied the blurb directly from Grizzly, before they added their store mark-up!

I just looked at the link to the lathe on HD. The ad copy says, "If you're in the market for s small lathe that doesn't skimp on rigidity and is priced under $1000 ..." But their sales price is $1129. That's OVER $1000!

Perhaps they just copied the blurb directly from Grizzly, before they added their store mark-up!
I expect that you are correct. It would be interesting to call them on that. In Wisconsin at least, if there is a pricing discrepancy, a retailer is obligated to sell an item at the lowest advertised price.

Back