Grizzly G640x. Anti-hijack post.

NC Rick

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
@rabler @Dabbler , okay just posting that made me smile! I really appreciated both of your comments regarding the Grizzly vertical band saws in the “Need a Lathe Now!” thread. In my usual manner of getting off on tangents, i realized i should not respond in such off-topic ways. I really enjoy getting to learn from all the knowledge on this forum, I get carried off sometimes…

i am really happy with my g640 and mentioning what i found to be “shortcomings“ for me, you both offered some valuable input. Im hoping to pick your brains some more about these Grizzly saws.
I did replace the table insert, but im not convinced the “zero-clearance” aluminum insert I’m using is ideal.

I for sure am interested in the prospects of reprogramming the VFD to slow down the speed of the saw some.

Looking inside the first time, i see a commercial “Delta” VFD for which there may be support available for. Once again, i feel like this machine was a good value. My VFD seems to be missing a user interface. Any tips on how to proceed on the programing would be really cool! Im interested to hear what speeds and saw blades folks are using as i use mine for general utility and normally don't like to change the saw bands more than i have too.
788B86BF-F0DE-4F71-9D0C-02887452F7B5.jpeg44715771-78F5-45DA-99E8-06E12C68760B.jpeg

You can most likely buy the programmer for that.

What is the VFD model number?

My Grizzly 14" bandsaw has VFD, but I generally only run it at 2 speeds: 150 fpm for steel and 300 for aluminum.

You can most likely buy the programmer for that.

What is the VFD model number?
EA281313-370B-4784-A983-B07220AF1E09.jpeg
Im going to guess they would refer to this as a VFD “M”. I’m not sure.

My Grizzly 14" bandsaw has VFD, but I generally only run it at 2 speeds: 150 fpm for steel and 300 for aluminum.
i think 150 or even higher is fine for mild steel but stainless or some other hard to cut steels would be better on the saw at 60 rpm or so. I’m using a good bi-metal Starrett and have cut some stainless with it at 100 rpm but i don’t think that is ideal. I don’t really know for sure.

Much better at 1/5 pricing: lc-m02e $30
I believe the other one may be thefancier version that can be used to copy parameters between VFDs: PU-06 $88

Last edited:
Interestingly, the current document on the Grizzly website, for models since 12/20, shows a Teco L510s model vfd, which includes a keypad. It looks like the speed display is directly reading the potentiometer voltage, so defaulting it to the metal range is not a vfd programmable function.

@rabler @Dabbler , okay just posting that made me smile! I really appreciated both of your comments regarding the Grizzly vertical band saws in the “Need a Lathe Now!” thread. In my usual manner of getting off on tangents, i realized i should not respond in such off-topic ways. I really enjoy getting to learn from all the knowledge on this forum, I get carried off sometimes…

i am really happy with my g640 and mentioning what i found to be “shortcomings“ for me, you both offered some valuable input. Im hoping to pick your brains some more about these Grizzly saws.
I did replace the table insert, but im not convinced the “zero-clearance” aluminum insert I’m using is ideal.

I for sure am interested in the prospects of reprogramming the VFD to slow down the speed of the saw some.

Looking inside the first time, i see a commercial “Delta” VFD for which there may be support available for. Once again, i feel like this machine was a good value. My VFD seems to be missing a user interface. Any tips on how to proceed on the programing would be really cool! Im interested to hear what speeds and saw blades folks are using as i use mine for general utility and normally don't like to change the saw bands more than i have too.
I see a copper line, compressed air?

Back