GRIZZLY DF1237G purchased last Friday

The internet has everything you will need. Just enter Grizzly DF1237G, the manuals and info is all there, you can find it.
The 2 small gears are going to be 40 tooth, I don't remember the tooth count on the larger gears on this lathe, But if the 2, 40 tooth gears are installed now, Then its set up for inch threads. The metric ones If I remember correctly are 30, 32 and 46

The internet has everything you will need. Just enter Grizzly DF1237G, the manuals and info is all there, you can find it.

That's how I found this site. I only found the G1003 manual which is close I hear but it does not t=say what gears go where when threading.

The 2 small gears are going to be 40 tooth, I don't remember the tooth count on the larger gears on this lathe, But if the 2, 40 tooth gears are installed now, Then its set up for inch threads. The metric ones If I remember correctly are 30, 32 and 46

Thank you!

I do have both 40t gears and the 30, 32 gears.

So both 40t gears run on the same idle gear (120/127) or do they run one on each side?

Like I said my manual is very vague on all this stuff.

Thank you!

I do have both 40t gears and the 30, 32 gears.

So both 40t gears run on the same idle gear (120/127) or do they run one on each side?

Like I said my manual is very vague on all this stuff.
When you are threading SAE, the upper and lower change gears run in line with each other, When you are doing metric the top change gear meshes with the larger gear nearest the headstock, Then you flip the lower gear around to where it meshes with the outer gear so that in essence you are turning 2 ratios and the half nut for the leadscrew must stay engaged during the entire threading process..

I just grabbed this photo from the web, I have no idea what lathe it goes to, But if you look closely at the circles that represent the gears you will see how the metric gears are staggered like I pointed out.

So yes, To answer your question, The 40t gears that you have if you are set up for SAE will be running in line with each other.

It took me a while to grasp this when I first started out, But then one day it was like a light bulb came on and all of a sudden I understood it. The way that happened was by studying the charts for different lathes on the web because I was missing the change gears and was trying to figure out which ones I needed.
1694090467900.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Sir!

That makes it 100% clear.
You're Welcome!

I found the right charts for your lathe, It is kind of confusing on this chart, It has an arrow showing which gear to mesh with rather than showing the gears meshing with one another. But it doesn't matter, Just look at the other chart to show how the gears are mounted.

1694093823262.png

Last edited:
Your correct, those decals confused the heck out of me.

And seem to show the opposite of what you said before.

Thanks again for setting me straight!

Back