GRIZZLY DF1237G purchased last Friday

358scott

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I purchased a DF1237G and a Grizzly mill/drill Friday, March 24. The mill/drill has never been used and the lathe has had minimal use. It runs and the head stock runout is under .0002. The photo of the QC gears was taken today.
Scott

Attachments

• 20230328_160000.jpg
    20230328_160000.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 45
Not having to switch gears whenever you want a different feed rate is pretty nice.

The screws, ways and end gears all look great. There was a lot of old dry oil residue on these parts (used mineral spirits and elbow grease). This a big change from the old South Bend 9C.

Attachments

• 20230329_120148.jpg
    20230329_120148.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230329_120205.jpg
    20230329_120205.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 23
Not having to switch gears whenever you want a different feed rate is pretty nice.

The classic Norton GearBox............

Yes it is nice not to have to change gears to alter feeds.
But I find myself using only 4 of the 10×4 selections. {hog, fast, medium, and finish}

The classic Norton GearBox............

Yes it is nice not to have to change gears to alter feeds.
But I find myself using only 4 of the 10×4 selections. {hog, fast, medium, and finish}
Same here if I had it. I'd only use the others for threading.

I purchased a DF1237G and a Grizzly mill/drill Friday, March 24. The mill/drill has never been used and the lathe has had minimal use. It runs and the head stock runout is under .0002. The photo of the QC gears was taken today.
Scott
Is the cover for the gear box easy to get off? I just picked up one of these lathes last Saturday. It's still on the trailer. It's going to need a good cleaning..... yours is looking good so far

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sorry it took so long. If my memory serves me, remove the shift lever, remove 4 allen head caps screws and pull back (you may have to pry some, I think it is on pins for alignment).
Scott

Sorry it took so long. If my memory serves me, remove the shift lever, remove 4 allen head caps screws and pull back (you may have to pry some, I think it is on pins for alignment).
Scott
There is just 4 socket head screws to remove and gently pry it off, The gear shift selector lever for turning or threading does not need to be removed, It stays on the plate.

Very clean lathe, It's just like my old SW lathe.

Very nice!

I recently bought the same lathe from a buddy and am having a good time cleaning it up and figuring it out.

If you know what gears go where for standard threading I would love to know. The decals seem to be vague on this and this is my first lathe with a gear box and I'm a little lost.

The internet has everything you will need. Just enter Grizzly DF1237G, the manuals and info is all there, you can find it.

Back