Grinding wheel type for HSS bits?

I've recently been going down the rabbit hole of grinding HSS (I got AL OX, fwiw). One thing that absolutely floored me is spend the time to actually balance your wheels! Even brand new wheels can be wildly out of balance.
There's a number of good vids that explain this process and it's really not hard. I built a DIY balancing setup and it works very well.

I've been using bench grinders for the past 35 years and I really had no idea how smooth a grinder can run with properly balanced wheels. A grinder that isn't causing a ton of vibration is a lot more accurate and generally more pleasant to use.

I've recently been going down the rabbit hole of grinding HSS (I got AL OX, fwiw). One thing that absolutely floored me is spend the time to actually balance your wheels! Even brand new wheels can be wildly out of balance.
There's a number of good vids that explain this process and it's really not hard. I built a DIY balancing setup and it works very well.

I've been using bench grinders for the past 35 years and I really had no idea how smooth a grinder can run with properly balanced wheels. A grinder that isn't causing a ton of vibration is a lot more accurate and generally more pleasant to use.
I had never heard of balancing a grinder wheel. I will look for the videos.

Don't get carried away with balancing, guys. Centering with bushings, truing with dressing, and adding mass to the HUB are perfectly good ways to run true. Never chip material out of the side of the wheel with a drill bit like what is trending on youtube. If you gouged chunks in one of my wheels, you'd find the door and never be asked to return. This has been a topic before, and some people insist they can't get a wheel to run nice unless they ruin it with static balancing. Static balancing is fine, add mass to the hub, never remove mass from the wheel. It's an idiotic trend.

Don't get carried away with balancing, guys. Centering with bushings, truing with dressing, and adding mass to the HUB are perfectly good ways to run true. Never chip material out of the side of the wheel with a drill bit like what is trending on youtube. If you gouged chunks in one of my wheels, you'd find the door and never be asked to return. This has been a topic before, and some people insist they can't get a wheel to run nice unless they ruin it with static balancing. Static balancing is fine, add mass to the hub, never remove mass from the wheel. It's an idiotic trend.
Damaging the structural integrity of any wheel sounds like a really bad idea. I figure my sons will get my tools when I die but I want to keep them waiting.

Dave

Couldn't agree more. Honestly I've never had a wheel that was seriously out of balance after truing, which is all I've ever needed to do. If you need more, I'd suggest buying a better quality wheel rather than trying to fix a junk one.

GsT

I use white wheels for HSS. You can use a pink wheel as well. Coarse is not a problem, just move the part back and forth. I use my coarse a lot, I have a finer wheel and may finish on that, but I often take a stone and hone the edge... there are a lot of people who think honing is not necessary, but if you hone it, you can usually just touch it up with a hone. it's a religious argument.. no need to rehash it here. It's what I do.

oh I disagree John. Look, Suburban tool does exactly that to true their wheels. I have watched other machinists that I respect who do grinding do the same. Done correctly the integrity is not lost. Mine have been dimpled for years and it improved every aspect of my crappy out of balance wheels. I think most wheels today are crap compared to wheels that we got 45+ years ago. While the bond is good, the material is good, the process leaves a lot of wheels that wobble from side to side and are junk. Even from the name brands. Surface grinder wheels are better. But typical pedestal and benchtop (especially) are not well balanced. I would say 10" and up are better. But my 8" nortons were horrible.

I try not to be too invested with what other people do, but absurd is absurd.

These are balance rings. Click to zoom. They can be built or bought. They allow static balancing without chiseling voids in the side of your wheel. It's really a no-brainer all around.

balanceadapt2.jpg
balanceadapt4.jpg
IMG_6413.jpeg
IMG_6412.jpeg

Back