Grinding wheel type for HSS bits?

DaveInConesus

Registered
Registered
I chipped the parting tool that came with my QC tool post set. What is the correct type of wheel for regrinding the bit? My old grinder has gray wheels and they are pretty coarse for this purpose. Plus I know they are the wrong type.

The parting tool is M2 and longer term I want to be able to grind my own lathe tools instead of using inserts. Lathe is a 6x18 Atlas Craftsman, blade I chipped is a .040" x 1/2" M2 P type.

Dave

This is from a woodworking site, but applies. Scroll down to the High Speed Steel section:

https://sharpeninghandbook.info/Grindstones-QuickSelect.html

I use the gray wheels that came with my grinders. They are not the best, but I don't use them enough to invest in better ones. Start out on the rough wheel for material removal, then shift to finer grits for fine shaping and even finer for getting the edge smooth.

My professional grade saw chain grinder stones are available in white and pink stones, but saw chain is not HSS.

I use white and pink wheels for HSS tool grinding, I have had two Delta triple duty tool grinders, both has white wheels on them when I bought them, if the wheels are not too soft, they will last for many years, I think the grit is around 60-80 grit and 100- 120 grit for the two wheels.wheels for tool grinding should be harder than wheels for surface grinding.

I have a 100 grit Norton white wheel for my 6" grinder. Works wonderfully, sharpened probably thousands of drill bits and many lathe bits with it. You will need a wheel dresser - either a star type or a diamond stick - as it will load up with use.

I use the standard gray (Aluminum Oxide) wheels - cheap(er), work fine, and last a long time.

GsT

I have a 100 grit Norton white wheel for my 6" grinder. Works wonderfully, sharpened probably thousands of drill bits and many lathe bits with it. You will need a wheel dresser - either a star type or a diamond stick - as it will load up with use.
An abrasive dressing stick will also work well, they are about 1" square and 6" long, grey color presume aluminum oxide.

For HSS, I get the best finish and precision out of white wheels (38A aluminum oxide designation). For a faster and cooler grind, I like purple (32AA) but purple wears faster and costs more in the long run. The heat control is worth it IMHO, but white leaves the best edges and holds its dress better.

For a parting tool, if I'm in a hurry I just buzz the edge with a belt sander and lick it with a hone. But if you want to get into detail with HSS, the white wheel is king.

Back