Green Twin Oscillator Build

Holy cow man, Nice work! Your engine is beautiful.

It doesn't look like you will be bored when you retire.

Thanks for all the photos and story.

Tim

Hugely labor intensive, with excellent results :encourage:

Very impressive work! Both the 3d modeling, and the cast & machined models. As a draftsman by trade myself I know how much effort can be involved in the modeling itself. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks all for the kind words.

I did not have much luck with my early modeling attempts (for several years), and got quite discouraged.
I didn't know how to machine, build engines, do 3D modeling, or do much of anything like that.
I literally failed at every attempt to make a drawing, 3D model, or machined part.
I was scratching my head saying "Dang, how do these folks do it; they make it look so easy".

There was many a day when I thought "perhaps I should just go fishing and give this hobby up".
I struggled with learning 3D modeling for an entire year, and swore it off many times before I finally got the hang of it.

It was one of those things were as I finally was able to succeed at getting through one door, then I would try the door after that, and I just kept opening doors to see where it all went.
I never really expected to get to where I am; it is rather a shock to me that I have been able to pull off what I have.

Perhaps it is a good lesson in not giving up too easily.
It certainly was for me.

So now after learning many new skills, it is like "Wow, I could build a lot of cool stuff", and hopefully one day I can make more engines.
At this point, I have everything I need, except time. Work is very busy these days, which is a good problem to have.

I am working on alloying some lead-free bearing bronze, and hope to cast up a batch of that this year some time.
Base metal prices are going through the roof, but I think I can make my own cheaper than purchasing it.
Copper prices are still somewhat reasonable, I guess if you call $11.00 per pound reasonable.
Some alloys such as tin are perhaps $30.00 per pound. I should have stocked up a few years ago; I would be rich now.

The idea is to cast some steam engine parts in bearing bronze, such as rod ends, etc.

Lead-Free Bearing Bronze C89835, Bismust Tin Bronze
(Copper=87%, Zinc=3%, Tin=6.7%, Bismuth=2.2%, Antimony=0.35%, Iron=0.2%, Lead=0.09%, Nickel=1%, Phosphorus=0.1%, Silicon=0.005%, Sulfur=0.08%)

A few years ago, I bought a Prusa MK3S, and like everything else, it took a while to learn the ropes on how to get that first layer correct.
Everything hinges on the first layer being exactly the right thickness, and thus adhering to the bed.

I am pretty well pleased with the MK3S, but wanted a larger format, and so I have a deposit in on the new XL, which has a 14" cubed print area.
With the current world's supply issues, I may never get the XL, but I do have a deposit on one.

Back