Got My Qcgb

Well I found bushings in a catalog for .87 cents a piece so I may go about ordering them I was going to buy a bar stock of impregnated bronze but at $50 I think it's a bit much. Now I just have to figure out what the shafts are made of so I can buy them and make them.

Regards-Carlo

You didn't get the the forward/reverse gear setup or the banjo with the sliding gear and other gears?

I think if you bought this as a ready to go package then you got ripped off. I would return it and look for either a whole lathe with qcgb (I got one for $25, it was trashed but has the qcgb) or another seller somewhere.

I did this quick vid for someone on another forum and it goes over the parts you need.

Do you have a parts diagram for your lathe? Looks like you don't have the sliding gear and the doiuble. But not sure if yours is different than my atlas, probably not. Chjeck out vintage machinery and look in the atlas section if you cannot find your craftsman.

I have one 48 tooth gear and the pdf I downloaded shows 2 48t and one 40t to run the gearbox. Right now I have two 64 two 20 and a 56 from
My original change gears.
Regards-Carlo

Carlo,

What I meant was that the original lathe when shipped new from the factory would have had one 40T and one 48T in the change gear set. The 1500 kit would have come with the second 48T, which the seller should have supplied.

Steve S,

All of the necessary manuals (except the 1500 Operator's Manual which I haven't found anywhere on the Internet) are in our Downloads.

The sliding gear is the 40T being discussed. And the 2nd 48T likewise.

Do you have a parts diagram for your lathe? Looks like you don't have the sliding gear and the doiuble. But not sure if yours is different than my atlas, probably not. Chjeck out vintage machinery and look in the atlas section if you cannot find your craftsman.
I have a diagram for the gearbox and yes I am missing the sliding gear and one of the 48t double gears. Aside from that I'm all ready to run. I shortened the lead screw and stuck it in the box and too my surprise it's much more quiet by hand. I think if I replace the bushings and shafts it'll be fine. I had figured I'd need to do that on any box I would've bought used I had just hoped I could get some run time out of it before I did.

Regards-Carlo

My point is it would have to be an awful dull reamer to smear a bronze bushing almost to the point of overheating and galling the surface.

Even a sharp reamer will clog up the poors of oillight bushing. Manufacturer's do not recommend reaming or lapping them. That said I got all of the bushings for my QCGB at Ace Hardwhear and the fit fine as is.

Even a sharp reamer will clog up the poors of oillight bushing. Manufacturer's do not recommend reaming or lapping them. That said I got all of the bushings for my QCGB at Ace Hardwhear and the fit fine as is.

Everyone keeps saying ace hardware has them. The only ace hardware I knew of closed about 5 years ago. I'm awaiting a response to see if I can get the two gears I need. Once I get them I'll see how it runs. Right now I don't have the time or funds to allow me to rebuild it. Once I finish the jobs I have I will. I'll start making the shafts soon and get the bushings I also have to revise several of the gears but that'll have to wait hopefully I can get it to work as is.

Regards-Carlo

Last edited by a moderator:
I am watching them in eBay. I'm waiting for a member of this site to respond to see if he has them. I'm
Hoping he does as everything I've got from
Him so far has been top notch.

Regards-Carlo

Back