[Newbie] Got My First Mill! Off The Cliff I Go

It looks worse in the pictures than in person. It's just dirty. The guy says they haven't used it in about 6 years since the power supply issues. They coated it with way oil, which is now a nice sticky mixture. It needs a good cleaning for sure, and a little paint.

It's on the trailer, headed home!

Good find, I'm sure that you will get it up and running with some tender loving care. Sounds like a great introduction into the world of CNC. Bob

Good find, I'm sure that you will get it up and running with some tender loving care. Sounds like a great introduction into the world of CNC. Bob

Working on the Control now. I started a new thread so other can search the info later without reading through this thread. If you can help, I need it!

Let us know when you get it powered up, and I'll give you a crash course in operating.

That would be awesome! Its going to be a bit. My shop is a wreck right now as we are insulating the shop. My wife also decided it was a great time to get a new greenhouse... I'm working on the control on the kitchen table for now.

I hope that's not like a crash course in flying airplanes :grin:

HAHA, I'm a helicopter pilot, my heart is racing, who mentioned crashing!

get the serial number off the top of the knee, move the saddle far to the column so the sliding covers retract, its stamped on the top near the screw axis for Y, we can then determine what year your machine is. post some pics of the knee ways. also state the price you paid for the machine, no one can determine if you busted or not unless you tell us that

get the serial number off the top of the knee, move the saddle far to the column so the sliding covers retract, its stamped on the top near the screw axis for Y, we can then determine what year your machine is. post some pics of the knee ways. also state the price you paid for the machine, no one can determine if you busted or not unless you tell us that

I don't have the number in front of me but its a 1976 2j2 varispeed series 1. 3200mk Anilam 2006 vintage. Kwik switch 200 spindle. Two Jacobs chucks, three end mill adapters, with end mills. Plenty of frosting on all the ways, German ball screws on X and y. There is a small spot if rust on the very top of the vertical ways, the rest is covered in way oil. Hadn't been used in years as the seller had issues with the power supply. I have a new power supply in hand.

$1400 for all of it

Great deal. The age is important,I think in the 70s is when they started to harden the ways

The guy I hit it from said it had turcite ways. I don't know enough to tell. I looked at the frosting and wiggled the table. Anything beyond that was extra at my budget level.

Run the saddle all the way towards the operator, look under the saddle at the little bit of overhang, is it shiny metal or green turcite?

Back