[Newbie] Got My First Mill! Off The Cliff I Go

95ttoplt1

Registered
Registered
I was looking for just a decent manual mill and came across a good deal for this, even if none of the CNC stuff works.

But, the seller states that everything worked, but they had an issue with the power supply for the control. It seem like getting rid of the 70's? era control and going to something simple, modern, and laptop controlled would be that much work? Am I completely dreaming or is this possible? Any and all suggestions welcome.

How bad did I screw up? haha if you saw it on Ebay I got it for a fair bit under the latest asking price.

s-l16001_1.jpg

s-l1600_1.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16001_1.jpg

s-l16001_1.jpg

s-l1600_1.jpg

s-l1600_1.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16001_1.jpg

s-l1600_1.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16001_1.jpg

s-l1600_1.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16001_1.jpg

s-l1600_1.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

It seem like getting rid of the 70's? era control and going to something simple, modern, and laptop controlled would be that much work? Am I completely dreaming or is this possible?

Nice 2 axis machine. And is CNC/manual:encourage:. The existing controller will probably run just fine on a standard computer power supply, that's what I put in mine when the Anilam PS failed.

Having said that, yes it's very possible to install new modern controls, using the existing servos. Exactly what I did with mine, and Alloy's Shizouka AN6. You can even add the Z-axis control if you want. I also just added a 4th axis (rotary) to mine.

That's what I would like to do I think.

I will get it home and make sure the machine is sound and gather some tooling.

Then what? Mach3?

I did a quick Google and there is tons of boards on amazon from 10 to 250 bucks. Any of these good?

I will be looking to add the z in the near future as well.

Funny I have read both of those already! Neat project for sure.

Why do some dislike the quill as the z? Stability?

Once I get it home I'll start getting a better idea of what to do.

Why do some dislike the quill as the z? Stability?

Yes, it is not as stable as moving the knee, but I have not had a problem hanging out 4 inches with a 1 inch, 4 inch long, end mill. This is not a 20,000# bed mill so you have to make allowances in the way you cut. Just can't get as greedy with the cut. On a BP size knee mill powering the quill as the Z axis is the most common way of adding the Z-axis.

That controller is not that old, but yet no longer made. If it works, I would stay with it until it doesn't. I'm betting it's conversational, which is tons easier to learn on.

That controller is not that old, but yet no longer made. If it works, I would stay with it until it doesn't. I'm betting it's conversational, which is tons easier to learn on.

I'm guessing early - mid 90s. Me too, I would use it until it fails, or at least for awhile to gain some experience on CNC.

OK. It sure looks old to me!

Just to get my ignorance on paper in public, what is conversational? Yes, that's my level of knowledge on CNC haha. I wasn't cnc shopping, it was just to cheap and manual capable. I figured worst case I had two power feeds.

Actually that model came out in about 2006, but its been in a very harsh environment looking at the condition.
Conversational doesn't need any fancy-smancy software.....you can program it right from the console. No G code needed.

Back