Got a new Grizzly G0709 Lathe

I noticed that there are basically four gear arrangements noted on the front of the lathe and in the manual (which can't seem to answer my question...).

Can I 'assume' that the four gearing arrangements are for inch, metric, module and diametral threading? I am looking for a lathe that I do not have to change gears to switch back and forth between inch feeds and threading and this one appears to do just that.

And now that you've had this for a while, have you had any issues with your lathe? I will admit that this lathe is right at my pain threshold for size and weight. I'm going to have to move my machines hopefully only one more time so I am keeping this in mind while I shop for my 'big lathe'. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Will Bill purchase the G4003G...(shakes the magic8 ball)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I 'assume' that the four gearing arrangements are for inch, metric, module and diametral threading? I am looking for a lathe that I do not have to change gears to switch back and forth between inch feeds and threading and this one appears to do just that.
Both the G4003 and the G0709G do not require change gear replacements to go back and forth from feeding to threading, except for a few exceptions for some thread pitches (both inch and metric).

You haven't mentioned the "upgrade lathe" from the G4003G, the G750; it DOES require change gear swap-out to go from feed to inch threads. Not much of an upgrade in my book.

EDIT: realized my previous statement of gear change requirements for G0709 was incorrect.

Last edited:
Both the G4003 and the G0709G do not require change gear replacements to go back and forth from feeding to inch threading, only if you need to do metric threading.

You haven't mentioned the "upgrade lathe" from the G4003G, the G750; it DOES require change gear swap-out to go from feed to inch threads. Not much of an upgrade in my book.

Saw that in the manual for the 750. Which is why it isn't on my short list. And thanks for the info on the 709. It wasn't obvious in the manual, but there are only 4 gear configurations so I made a semi-educated wild arsed guess (SWAG).

I am also considering the G0709 for size, price and Grizzly service...and unclear on what gear changes have to be made for threading...It seems if you only do inch threads then no gear changes, but of you do metric threads then you need to change gears...question is does it take a gear change for every different metric thread or one gear change to do all metric threads? and really, how much trouble is the gear change?

Seems the PM 1340 GT can do both inch and metric threads with no gear changes at all...more money. long wait and small company to back it up but good response it seems....

Any other long time users of the G-0709 out there?

Just FYI, but the 1340GT requires a gear change when going from inch to metric. I was looking hard at the 709 but just decided I don't want to deal with a lathe that size. So I settled on the biggest I could handle which is the 1340GT.

I doubt the effort to change a gear or two on the 709 is significant. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

.It seems if you only do inch threads then no gear changes, but of you do metric threads then you need to change gears...question is does it take a gear change for every different metric thread or one gear change to do all metric threads

G0709 requires one of two gear arrangements for inch or metric. Gear arrangement "F" accomplishes most of the threads in both inch and metric, as well as giving you the most useful range of feeding speeds.

The most common metric pitch you might encounter are 0.8, 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0. The 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 are accessible from the "F" gear arrangement, the 0.8 and 2.0 from the "G" gear arrangement.

The most common inch threads you encounter are 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, 28, 32 tpi. All of these except 13 and 14 are accessible with the "F" gear arrangement. The "G" gear arrangement is only required for large bolts with <15 tpi.

The machine can feed with either "F" or "G" arrangement, but "G" only gives you feed of 0.033 ipr and above, which quickly gets too fast.

Bottom line: you stay in "F" gear, with no gear change required until you need to cut a 13 or 14 tpi or a metric 0.8 or 2.0.

I was looking hard at the 709 but just decided I don't want to deal with a lathe that size.
good choice; if I was doing it all over again, I might have gone with the GT1340 instead.

wrt size: I suspect if you put the 0709 and GT1340 side by side, they would essentially be the same size. An extra 1/2" of height on the spindle wouldn't be noticeable, they have the same bed length and bed width, and probably weigh the same.

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 6.26.32 AM.png

What I meant by my comment about size was the difference in a floor standing lathe (stand and lathe comes as one unit) and a 'bench' lathe that you have to set on it's stand. When I move, the 1340 will come off it's stand and get strapped to a couple of appliance dollies and rolled up a ramp. The floor standing lathes would be more difficult for me to handle. Or that's my thinking anyway... :)

Now if I didn't have this move in my future, I'd have been all over that 709...

Back