Got a new Grizzly G0709 Lathe

DBlue

Registered
Registered
I got my new G0709 lathe on Tuesday and just did the break in and changed all the fluids this evening. I have to say that this is a nice lathe for the money....I made a couple of pieces with it and did it in less than half the time it took me on my old lathe. I really like it and it's going to serve the purpose that I bought it for and then some. I ordered the lathe last Thursday and it arrived here in Virginia on Tuesday by UPS freight, I was really surprised as the crate didn't have as much as a scratch on it and the driver was more than helpful with us getting it loaded on a utility trailer to get it to my shop.
I just wanted to post this in case anyone was thinking about getting this model lathe, I'm very happy with mine.

Congrats and good luck. Hope to see some pics of what you make sometime soon.

FedEx and UPS freight are the way to go for anything you care about! They're a little more expensive but I never had a problem with either. I had a lot of trouble with 3 out of 4 large "fragile" deliveries from R&L who tends to service this area when you have no control over how something is shipped. Due to the added hassle and cost of untimely and improper delivery, my days of dealing with the bottom feeders are over. I go FedEx and UPS whenever I have a say-so in the matter.

Ray

I got my new G0709 lathe on Tuesday and just did the break in and changed all the fluids this evening. I have to say that this is a nice lathe for the money....I made a couple of pieces with it and did it in less than half the time it took me on my old lathe. I really like it and it's going to serve the purpose that I bought it for and then some. I ordered the lathe last Thursday and it arrived here in Virginia on Tuesday by UPS freight, I was really surprised as the crate didn't have as much as a scratch on it and the driver was more than helpful with us getting it loaded on a utility trailer to get it to my shop.
I just wanted to post this in case anyone was thinking about getting this model lathe, I'm very happy with mine.

Congratulations:thumbsup:

I just ordered the G4003G yesterday.
What oil did you use in the headstock and apron? I need to get some

Hi
I wanted to ask a question on this particular model g0709 14x40 lathe. Does the lathe come with a 220v power cord or do i need to order one thru lowes or home depot? thank you:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Congratulations:thumbsup:

I just ordered the G4003G yesterday.
What oil did you use in the headstock and apron? I need to get some

I got my G4003G a few weeks ago. I could not find the oils locally except in 5 gallon pales or larger barrels which is a ridiculous amount and not cheap. The only place I found where you can order it by the gallon is McMaster Carr. Below are the oils Grizzly specifies. Based on my research I would not deviate from Grizzly's recommendations. There's lots of chatter about how this oil or that is an equivalent but I found that was not true, there are different additives.

Way Oil Vactra #2 - Quick change gear box, ways, carriage. My carriage arrived already filled with way oil so I only needed about 1/4 cup of way oil. One gallon will last a long time.

Headstock DTE Light - Head stock and all the ball spring oil ports of which there are many. Yep you will need 2 squirt type oil cans one for each type of oil. Good luck finding the rubber tipped oil cans Grizzly recommends I could not find one. You will waste 1 gallon during the break in procedure then use most of the second gallon to refill. Draining the oil from the headstock...lets just say the design is retarded you will know what I mean soon enough. I'll make a custom funnel before I change that oil again.

Gear box oil DTE Light (2 gallons) - http://www.mcmaster.com/#2158k14/=qibqz6 DTE Machine Oil, ISO Grade 32, SAE Grade 10, 1-Gallon

Way oil Vactra #2 (1 gallon) - http://www.mcmaster.com/#2158k21/=qibrc4 Vactra #2 Way Oil, ISO Grade 68, SAE Grade 20, 1-Gallon

- - - Updated - - -

DBlue that's a sweet lathe, any pics? Do you plan to install a DRO? I have a DroPros EL400 sitting here I'll be installing.

Here's a couple pics of my lathe....I make custom carbon fiber archery stabilizers and also adjustable weights for the stabilizers....I'm very happy with this lathe...:)

original.jpg

original.jpg

stabilizers
original.jpg

adjustable weights
original.jpg

original.jpg

Draining the oil from the headstock...lets just say the design is retarded you will know what I mean soon enough.
Coolidge, I have a G4003G, too. Yeah, that oil drain design is lame. I get around by removing the headstock cover and siphoning out the oil, followed by sump clean out with rags. This also allows headstock gears inspection. :nuts: Also, you could see where you can strategically lay a magnet to collect all metal chips and flakes. Good luck.
---ortho

She's a beauty! How are you liking the Lathe? I've been reading specifications, and for the money, I have not seen a better lathe! I want one. Please let me know how the lathe is treating you.

Bruce KB1yrs

Way Oil Vactra #2...Headstock DTE Light
I recommend Enco. They have a good coupon going now... 15% off AND free shipping.

Code: GRND9 and SEP15 until 9/26/2014.

Vactra #2 is on-sale. $18 per gallon is a steal... than throw 15% on there, and you get it at $15.30 per gallon. Buy a couple of gallons.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=945479&PMAKA=505-1987

DTE Light only comes in a 5 gallon can. Which isn't too big an issue since you will use 2 gallons just in initial fill and break in and re-fill. $130 per 5 gallon pail (-15% = $110).

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=950081&PMAKA=505-1218

I have a long narrow funnel that I can get under the headstock drain, still get some spill, but not too bad.

EDIT: whoops, ancient thread brought back to life. Film at 6:00.

I have a G0709 as well. It has good elements and bad elements. It definitely isn't a Taiwanese lathe, has some vibration issues that correspond to less than a smooth cut, and fit/finish is definitely second rate. Isolating the motor (or replacing with a 3 phase motor, which I haven't done yet) helps. Has plenty of power for what I want to do.

I noticed that there are basically four gear arrangements noted on the front of the lathe and in the manual (which can't seem to answer my question...).

Can I 'assume' that the four gearing arrangements are for inch, metric, module and diametral threading? I am looking for a lathe that I do not have to change gears to switch back and forth between inch feeds and threading and this one appears to do just that.

And now that you've had this for a while, have you had any issues with your lathe? I will admit that this lathe is right at my pain threshold for size and weight. I'm going to have to move my machines hopefully only one more time so I am keeping this in mind while I shop for my 'big lathe'. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back