Gorton 8D collet type? Is this the proprietary one?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Hi all- Just left the house of the Gorton 8D from a post a few days ago. Could someone tell me if these are the proprietary collets I've been reading about? They have a 3 sided flat to them? Any comments on their attainability and/or alternates welcome as well.

TIA. CG.
GortonCollet1.jpgGortonCollet2.jpg

GortonCollet1.jpg GortonCollet2.jpg

I'll defer to somebody that owns one. But, I was going to buy a Gorton mill that used these. Couldn't find any so i passed on the purchase.I just searched eBay and don't see any there right now.

karl

Re: Gorton 8D bill w. 1 proprietary collet Any DIy collet makers?

It was indeed the impossible to find type. What would prevent me from making my own possibly Dwn the road? Gorton lovers how hard are these units to rebuid?

Hey countryguy, just found your post. I thought I was the only one with a 8D Gorton milling machine. I think these collets are proprietary, I've never found any of these collets although I'm sure they must be available. To answer one of your questions, yes you can make your own collets, at least you have as a pattern. I made a set of 5 (sizes 1/8,1/4,5/16,3/8 and 1/2) over 20 years ago. I didn't have a collet to use for a pattern so I made a pattern by using some plastic body filler(bondo) by spraying penetrating oil in the end of the spindle and mixing the body filler and packing it in the spindle and letting it cure. At least it gave something to get close as far as size. The ones I made are not hardened but have served well for over 20 years, with only the 1/2 needing to be replaced now. I don't know if you know this but the collet in your photo fits inside a #9 Brown & Sharpe adapter.

Thanks for the reply MDC. How do you like the 8d? This has the 2speed motor. And a busted x axis crank and screw mount. But I have seen a few others around on CL. Can you tell me what you mean about the Brown and sharpe #9 ? Does that mean I could use these collets instead? Thanks for the help! Also interested in what you think of the mill? CG.

countryguy,

I think I am correct in the size(8d). I was able to buy an operators manual direct from Gorton company about 1990 and I believe that is what the sales person told me. I gave him the serial number off the mill and he told me everything about the mill-where it was sold originally and the company that bought it (Revere Copper and Aluminum). I am pleased with the mill although it's not what I went to buy originally. I looked at a Bridgeport and went back to get it the next day only to find a person had already bought it and was loading it when I drove up so I bought the Gorton since they didn't have another Bridgeport. What I didn't know at the time was it had the collet system that you have in the photo. I thought it could use an R8 collet but learned differently. The mill is a good heavy duty mill and I've done a lot of projects with it. The collet in your photo fits in an adapter in the spindle. I looked at the collet adapter for sometime not really knowing if it was an adapter or the spindle. After I received the manual I could see that the adapter could be removed so I had to make a different draw bar to remove it. After it's removed you can use a #9 Brown & Sharpe collet (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._nkw=#9+brown+&+sharpe+collets&_sacat=0)which you can still find, pricey but they can still be purchased. I changed the drive motor out when I got the mill because it was wired 3 phase 440 and I couldn't use a phase converter with 440volt. I have information on this mill if you need it. There is suppose to be a way to send a PM but I'm sure how but let me know if you can use the information and I will get it to you. Sorry about the long message.

countryguy,

I think I am correct in the size(8d). I was able to buy an operators manual direct from Gorton company about 1990 and I believe that is what the sales person told me. I gave him the serial number off the mill and he told me everything about the mill-where it was sold originally and the company that bought it (Revere Copper and Aluminum). I am pleased with the mill although it's not what I went to buy originally. I looked at a Bridgeport and went back to get it the next day only to find a person had already bought it and was loading it when I drove up so I bought the Gorton since they didn't have another Bridgeport. What I didn't know at the time was it had the collet system that you have in the photo. I thought it could use an R8 collet but learned differently. The mill is a good heavy duty mill and I've done a lot of projects with it. The collet in your photo fits in an adapter in the spindle. I looked at the collet adapter for sometime not really knowing if it was an adapter or the spindle. After I received the manual I could see that the adapter could be removed so I had to make a different draw bar to remove it. After it's removed you can use a #9 Brown & Sharpe collet (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X#9+brown+&+sharpe+collets&_nkw=#9+brown+&+sharpe+collets&_sacat=0)which you can still find, pricey but they can still be purchased. I changed the drive motor out when I got the mill because it was wired 3 phase 440 and I couldn't use a phase converter with 440volt. I have information on this mill if you need it. There is suppose to be a way to send a PM but I'm sure how but let me know if you can use the information and I will get it to you. Sorry about the long message.
Country Guy: Can you email a drawing of the spindle nose and Browne & Sharpe spindle adaption for the Gorton Mill?? tinkertoy1941@yahoo.com

MDC are you sure your 8D mill has a no. 9 B & S adapter in the spindle? My book I used to have said the 8D mill did not have this adapter. It was an integral spindle with this Gorton taper. Only the 8-1/2D had the 9 B & S adapter and the 9J had a 10 B & S taper. ( I had one of these to my 9J mill)
B.T.Y. Harding will make these collets upon request. Very pricy$$$.

I'm pretty sure I have a set of these collets. It's been a while so I don't remember the model # of the Gorton I had, but those look like the collets. They might have made more than one size.....I don't know much about Gortons. I do know that they didn't cheat you on cast iron and they have a great spindle.

Back