Good machinist square? 2-4-6 blocks? Both?

I'm usually an annoying snob about the tools I choose to own and use, but when it comes to 123 blocks and machinist's squares, Shars has been fine. They are easy items to measure, test, and prove. The blocks I have come in to the tenth. The junk squares are junk, but the import premium ISO/DIN claimed squares check out good. Like cheap calipers, they are still accurate to their claimed resolution, much to my amazement. This glowing endorsement begins and ends at 123 blocks and claimed-quality squares. I haven't felt the need to spend more on them.

There are many machinist tool boxes with many desirable old tools on Craigslist.
Get an indicacol for holding your indicator .

Last edited:
You will want both a set of decent-quality machinist squares and blocks. The blocks are very handy for elevating flat stock, to keep your cutters away from the mill table and doing things like squaring up a parting tool on your lathe.....and on and on.

If you haven't already done it, you also will want to get some quality metrology tools. I have calipers ranging from 6" to 12" and a decent 1" micrometer. You will want a dial indicator for zeroing-out work in your 4-jaw lathe chuck and a .0005" DTI for checking runout, tramming milling vises etc. I have a .0001" DTI but only use it now and then. A mag-base holder for DI's and DTI's can be handy for some jobs or adjusting alignment of your tools. A spindle clamp-type DTI holder is handy for tramming, accurately locating holes etc.

A hand magnifier can be useful for examining cutters for chips and cracks, or for adjusting tool height on a lathe. Also handy if you have to pick up preexisting threads, or for reading the fine print in owner's manuals (or life insurance contracts :).

Eye protection. The ones I have will prevent swarf from entering from any side -- top, side, bottom. Some operations can be noisy so I also have ear muffs.

I'm partial to the Taylor Tools 11 hole universal mounting 123 blocks since they actually bolt together with cap screws.
use the drop down menu for the 11 hole variety since they sell several kinds.

You don't always have to spend a fortune for things that work. These are $19 and they work fine for hobby grade work. Suburban Tool sells USA made 11 hole 123 blocks which are $209. This is a hobby for me and that $190 is better spent elsewhere and frankly I'm not good enough to use the extra .0001" accuracy or even notice it.

There's plenty of high quality stuff out there available used if you look. Sometimes cheap Chinese tools will get you by until you find that deal,and sometimes you never need to replace the cheap stuff. But some guys want only the best just because, and if that's the case have at it.

Back