Good machinist square? 2-4-6 blocks? Both?

tominboise

Registered
Registered
Working on acquiring tools for my home hobby machine shop. No machines yet as I keep missing the ones locally. But anyway, I am thinking that I will need a machinist square and/or a 2-4-6 block or both. And what a decent brand to acquire would be. I understand Starrett, B&S, etc are top notch and maybe that's the way to go. Or maybe there is a more affordable option out there that will do the trick.

I do already have a couple of Starrett combination squares, but I don't know that they are accurate enough for setting up a mill, etc.

I’ve had very good luck with CDCO tools. Yes, Chinese, but fill the bill for me in this very expensive hobby. NASA has not called yet, if they do, I will certainly up the quality.
John in MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make a list .

For setting up a mill you're really going to want a good dial test indicator and appropriate holder for tramming the head (assuming it's not fixed). I have some precision squares that I use at times, but no 2-4-6 blocks. I suggest focusing on the absolute essentials (edge finders, endmills, calipers, micrometers (at least 0-1"), maybe a depth mic - things that are universally needed. A lot of the other stuff you'll want to tailor to your mill's capacities and you may score things like clamping sets, a vise, etc with the mill if you're lucky, so I'd hold off on those.

There are a lot of tools that *I* think are essential and other tools that others think are essential, and they're not necessarily the same (aside from items along the lines of those previously mentioned). A lot of it comes down to what you work on and how you go about that work. You can waste a lot of money buying stuff that others find useful which just might not be suitable for your situation. Get your machines soonest, then slowly acquire what you need, as you find a need for it in *your* work.

GsT

Working on acquiring tools for my home hobby machine shop. No machines yet as I keep missing the ones locally. But anyway, I am thinking that I will need a machinist square and/or a 2-4-6 block or both. And what a decent brand to acquire would be. I understand Starrett, B&S, etc are top notch and maybe that's the way to go. Or maybe there is a more affordable option out there that will do the trick.

I do already have a couple of Starrett combination squares, but I don't know that they are accurate enough for setting up a mill, etc.
Both B&S and Starrett are good choices. They are relatively expensive if purchased new. I would check online and with shops in your area to see if there are any used equipment dealers close by. They generally sell metrology stuff for pennies on the dollar compared to new. Last year I bought a couple sets of B&S 1,2,3 blocks (one set was new in the case) from a local dealer for $20.00 each. Dealers don't like to keep "smalls" around very long in that they can easily be damaged, misplaced, or even stolen.

There are 2 used equipment dealers I frequent. The average price for metrology equipment is 20% to 25% of new retail. Over the years I've bought dozens of pieces from them and never had a bad experience. Machines are even less expensive. Recently I purchased a Delta 14" radial arm saw for $500.00, and a 14" Baileigh cold saw for $350.00. The radial arm saw sells new for about $8,500.00, and the cold saw is about $5,800.00 new. The radial arm saw needed about $50.00 worth of parts (a new cord) to get it up and running, and the cold saw took about $100.00 in parts. If you're willing to put a little time and effort into the machines they can be relatively inexpensive.

I have invested more for tooling for both of these machines than I did to purchase them.

I’ve bought a very low percentage of new metrology tools. I got a set of B&S squares off eBay that needed a touch up with toolroom stones to be perfect and they were in the original case and 10% of new. 123 blocks can be useful and I bought those new from LMS and being imports were very affordable and a great way to check the squares. My most used are my DTI’s and DI’s and the various snugs and mounts for them. But Gene T45 nailed it. Everybody’s focus and work is different so tailor accordingly.

Taylor toolworks sells Kinex squares, these are european and they have different levels of specs for deviation from square- in other words you pay more for a more accuirate square and can get the particular level you need. I have 5 of these squares and they meet the listed specs- more than I can say for chinese squares I have bought and then returned. Don't buy the taylor tools brand even though they are cheaper.

I went for 15 years or so before I got a pair of 2-4-6 blocks from as I recall All Industrial, imports for sure. They measure within a tenth or so against my gauge blocks, have a beautiful finish, and are way more useful than I thought they would be. In fact most of the use I've made for them really doesn't require absolute accuracy, just that they're equal to each other. You know you need a pair for full use, of course.

Back