Good floormat to keep chips out of the house?

is seems that no matter how much i clean up before i come into the house from the garage i still track shavings and chips in, anyone know of a good matt i can get to help clean my shoes off? i know taking my shoes off is an option but would like something of a stop gap when i run in to use the restroom
thanks!
I use rubber floor mat upside down in front of machine tools and after that a old rug chaing every few months or as need.

Then have shoes I use only for the shop aka garage space.

Drill chips are the worst. It also helps not let chips build up and use a leaf blower to blow to gutter.

Remember happy wife happy machining.

If she ever get chip in foot it is a very bad day for you.

Good thread.

I have two pair of shoes for the shop, a pair of cheap but decent toe capped rigger boots with nuce fleece lining for the winter, and a pair of cheap toe-capped safety trainers that I've relaced with elastic no-tie type laces (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0B9S31DF9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title). Both can be slipped in to and out of fairly easily.

I'll look into the mats though as an extra safeguard. :)

I vacuum regularly.

I would love a little tiny roomba for the shop. Just tap it on the head to start it whenever leaving the shop.

I've had decent success with:
  • shop apron
  • vacuum daily with spot dustbuster cleanup as required (I use the Pierson method and clean in the mornings)
  • fatigue mats at the machines and bench
  • multiple floor mats in the shop at the door
  • floor mat in the house at the shop door
  • wipe on each shop mat and the house mat on every shop exit
  • never wear house shoes in the shop
With all of that, I still get an occasional chip in the house.

Caveats:
  • the mills and lathe are enclosed
  • material is mostly aluminum with some delrin/acetal and steel

Last edited:
Back