Golf balls

I don't believe they make liquid center golf balls any more. The materials have changed so much since we were kids (70+) that most today are a solid foam ball and the hides are much stronger then in the "day". A miss hit would put a smile into the old ones and I've miss hit plenty of the new ones with out a cut.

Jim

I've made lots of tool handles from golf balls I buy cheaply from Goodwill. Absolutely love 'em!
How do you tell if a golf ball has a liquid center?
I hold the ball in the lathe chuck and start drilling in with the tailstock. Drill in no more than ¼" and look at the swarf coming out. If it looks like plastic shavings, it's OK. If it looks like bits of chewed-up rubber band, the ball is probably liquid centered, so I stop drilling and discard that one. Just for safety's sake, you can impale a coffee can lid on the drill bit. That will shield the tailstock and tailstock chuck from spurting liquids if you do happen to "strike oil."
kHPIM3636.jpg
kHPIM2816K.jpg
kHPIM3377.jpg

I use them on the tangs of my files. Nephew is a golf nut. :) Although people tell me he is really good at it. To me it's a waste of good horse pasture.:grin::grin:

Ron

Nice looking stands, John. :encourage:
-frank
Thanks!

I've been planning to write an article on how to design/build the wheel sets. Not trivial, but not too complex. I've probably done half a dozen of them so far. They work pretty well, and hold a good amount of weight. My table saw cabinet is the heaviest so far, about 350 lbs yet easy to move.

I am soo glad to see that I am not the only tightwad out there. Thank you gentlemen.:)

As gonzo mentioned, using a knife to cut the center of an old style golf ball can end badly if the liquid gets in your eyes. Funny that someone else also took that same path as a curious kid.

They do make nice handles.

Back