Gloves Or Barehand

do you wear gloves to weld?

• all of the time

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • some of the time.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • naaa. I love the smell of burning flesh.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I wear them most of the time. Light ones for mig, unless it's long continuous welds on heavier material, heavier ones for stick as that usually on 1/4" and thicker and running pretty large rod and high amperage. I think the worst is getting it in the ear, sparks and slag that is. Mike

Don't know if I have to worry about getting the stuff down the ear any more have in ear hearing aids. But that may not agree with them either.
Welding over head, Make sure the gloves go over the sleeves and do not let sparks and slag get behind the watch or down the sleeves. Ouch leave a nasty scar.

i always were gloves when welding, scarfing or cutting with flames, even for small jobs.

Leather glove all the time. I too have issies with skin cancer, my arms bear the brunt of it, from all my exposure from sun and stick welding over the years. Long sleeves about 80% of the time

I *always* wear gloves. A good pair of fine leather TIG gloves allow for good dexterity and tactile feel. My favorites are the Lincoln kidskin TIG gloves. You can pick up 1/16" welding rods on a flat surface. They're less than $20 on eBay. I have split leather welding sleeves ($12), an Indura welding shirt ($24), a 3M Speedglass welding helmet (used $100), fiberglass TIG finger ($10), etc. I use whatever is needed for any particular job. Decent protective wear is so cheap, (IMHO) it is foolish not to use it.

I have use gloves since the 60's
Use a leather coat by 1970 even in 110 F days
Below is photo of welding coat, leather hood from the 70's and , gloves from 2000's. The welder is less than 30 days old

But I have some welder come in with short pants and weld Note: After that day they were off for 3 or 4 days with burned legs
One even try using welding googles for tack welding Note: He look like red raccoon

If you are doing very heavy welding a welder need a asbestos gloves (Today AKA High Temperature Heat Resistant Mittens)

Dave

ys100_0521.JPG

Wow I am absurdly stupid...and tough I guess....

****e...I weld in shorts and boots not tied up...catch dingle berries all the time...no gloves short sleeves or no shirt...both stick a d mig and plasma cut..as well as grind and oxy acet.

I do own very good masks face shikeds ear muffs etc...wear them all the time.

Sometimes if going to be heacy weld day...shorts under coveralls and I may tie boots.

Gloves...just a thin pair for dexterity....sometimes...not frequent...

Like its said...if yer gonna be stupid better be tough...

I have found that if weld and any skin sees the light welder it will be burn worse that a sun burn
Before I was 18 I learn this the hard way now all leather even in 110 DEG day. My welding hood did not cover all of my neck bad day.

Dave

Wow I am absurdly stupid...and tough I guess....

****e...I weld in shorts and boots not tied up...catch dingle berries all the time...no gloves short sleeves or no shirt...both stick a d mig and plasma cut..as well as grind and oxy acet.

I do own very good masks face shikeds ear muffs etc...wear them all the time.

Sometimes if going to be heacy weld day...shorts under coveralls and I may tie boots.

Gloves...just a thin pair for dexterity....sometimes...not frequent...

Like its said...if yer gonna be stupid better be tough...

Back