Gloves Or Barehand

do you wear gloves to weld?

• all of the time

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • some of the time.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • naaa. I love the smell of burning flesh.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For quick welding jobs, I seldom wear gloves. When I have a substantial amount of welding, I'll put the gloves on. I can remember many years ago welding in a Tee shirt on a hot summer day.At the end of the day, I had a bright red triangular patch on the inside of my elbow. Most of the arm had been shielded by my forearm flipping the helmet up and down. There was also a bright red belly from the uv going through the sweat soaked Tee shirt. Since then, I always wear a long sleeved shirt for welding.

On another note, about that same time I developed the practice of wearing my jeans outside my boots instead of tucked in. Cutting steel with a torch will teach you that lesson very quickly.

Usually on one hand , the one not holding the stinger.
No flip flops

After a few minor burns I started wearing gloves more especially if doing overhead. Getting sparks behind the watch band is not fun.

I always wear gloves and a long sleeve welding jacket. I do mostly TIG welding. Due to the lack of smoke in TIG welding there is much more UV geting out and much more chance of a "sunburn" with it than stick. Also keeps burns down a bit.

TIG, hated gloves, always wore them. usually had a triangle of burn a the base of my throat. Its been a while, though.

Speaking as one who has left a bunch of skin at the dermatologist from skin cancers, any UV needs to be kept at the door. Sunburns are the starting point for skin cancer. Also learned that wearing sandals while turning on the lathe isn't so smart either.

When I gas weld, usually no gloves unless it is a large joint (seldom). TIG always, for the above reasons, primarily UV protection. Stick, always, ready to grab the hot whatever and manipulate it. Just an old habit. (and UV), Gas burning, left hand only. That glove shields from the heat, and leaves the operating hand (I'm a rightie) free and sensitive to torch movement. MIG, mixed....left hand only most of the time same reasons as gas burning, but if I'm at it all day, or the work has to Be moved.....I'll wear both. I'd say on average, more often than not, but not always on both hands.

speaking of flip flops...i have my leg boot...noticed a few holes one day...good thing i missed...i wouldn't have felt a thing

IMG_0188.JPG

I got tired a few years ago of burning and peeling skin from welding, so I now ALWAYS wear gloves and long sleeves. I also got tired of burning the laces off of my work boots (more from torch cutting than welding) and went to slip-on steel-toe leather boots.

Back