Giving myself eye strain again....Files

I did not think hot melt glue was that good. I have some PVC, Even have my wifes hot melt somewhere. I may have to barrow your idea.

3/4" and 1" fire hose (25mm for the Aussies) used for wildland firefighting makes a great sheath for flat files. Of course the most economical way to get it is to get a piece of out of service hose, but if you can find a vender who will sell the hose without couplings, even new it isn't that expensive $1-2 a foot, it is the couplings that add a lot to the cost. A lot of hardware stores sell the 3/4" flat hose these days which is basically the same stuff as the 3/4" fire hose.

I use the scabbard method. Photo shows just a few of the files. I use manila folders cut to size. Wrap the folder around the file fold the end over and use packaging tape to hold it together. It gives you a surface to write a description of the file on. Cheap and easy and will last for a very long time.Dsc_0338 small.jpg

After years of just using any old scrap, I made myself a fancy holder for pieces of bamboo.
It hangs on the tool board, ready for easy use:

filecleaner03.jpg

Bamboo is works really well to push out those little chips.
Every so often I have to pick 'em out with the backside point of a regular X-Acto #11 blade.

One of the things I am quickly coming to appreciate is the dumb little gizmos people come up with just because they can. "A block of wood works so lets make a wood holder out of brass and add a fancy wooden handle to it" :)

It is a lovely little tool you've whipped up there.

Back