Giving myself eye strain again....Files

Same here , now there in a drawer, but that's not good for them . I thought about a magnetic strip on the wall but didn't want to magnify the files. Handles make it hard to save space.

You might not be interested in doing this for that many files (unless you've got some kids/grandkids you can assign to the task :)) but some guys make up a cardboard scabbard for each and then just keep them in a drawer or whatever... pretty easy and fast to make up. I'm sure it could be improved on by using something better than cardboard...

Ted

Instead of making covers for them, Use a divided drawer, an also use the strips of cardboard to separate them in the compartments. Right now I have 4 files so do not have much of a problem, but been looking at them today, as needed one to do something.

I've gotten thermoplastic from amazon to make holsters it's called Kydex, nice stuff , I could see making a few file holsters out of that but not for 20-30 of them , but that's me.
It would make good file sleeves probably last forever.

I'm embarrassed to say that my files are just hanging in a rack. I'm careful not to bang them if I can but they do knock together from time to time. I need to be more careful I suppose.

I do not have the wall space to hang files on the wall, To much stuff in too small a space. Thus put stuff between them in the drawer

I have a rack on the end of my work bench, made of 16ga. sheet metal, bent lengthwise with a leg 1" on one side and about 2 " on the other and having slots cut in it at approx. 2" intervals that run back to within about 1/2" of the 1" leg, then the wide leg is bent up about 20 degrees in the opposite direction of the 1" leg, about 3/4" from the outer edge of the slots, which keeps the files from falling off the rack I also have one of these racks with only one or two slots for the lathe back benches for a mill and lathe file. Note, the 1" leg of the angle is used to fasten the rack to the bench with screws.
I also keep lots of files in a drawer in the bench, the nicer examples having sheaths made with file folder cardboard held together with strapping tape.

Not to hijack the thread a little, I must ask, how do you guys store your files?

Years ago I was trying to figure out file storage. This is what I came up with.
full2.jpg

I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to tightly fit a drawer in my tool chest.
I laid out my files across the board to figure out where they should fit.
Using a dado blade in the table saw I cut a number of slots to hold the files and stop them from hitting together.

Across the front of the drawer are some long wood rasps that go from one side of the drawer to the other.
The narrow slots keep them stored up on edge.
front2.jpg
Smaller files are oriented in other grooves.
left2.jpg
right2.jpg
As you can see various handles also live in that drawer.

Usually, I can just push down on the tang end of a file and and grab the other end, but sometimes I need to fish them out.
I should cut a couple of "finger grooves" to allow me to actually grab the files from their slots more easily.

This is how the drawer normally looks with a few packs of needle files on top.
There are also a few pieces of bicycle inner-tube that I use when I throw a file in a toolbox for working away from my shop.
normal2.jpg

I have NOT noticed any rusting from the plywood absorbing moisture.
If in a more humid climate I would probably treat the plywood with oil to avoid any problems.

It works for me.
-brino

PVC pipe leftovers hot melt glued together then stuck to a bit of board, ala knife block style.

Self governing so small and skinny stands in front, long and tall go to the back, just like family photos. Usually sits behind me so I can wheel ninety degrees to grab what I need, but obviously portable if necessary. There's 24 files in this block with a total footprint of about 5 X 8 inches.

-frank

image.jpeg

Back