Getting Started Basic Cnc Software

I agree that you will want the monitor close to the machine especially for setup, and to see any error messages or prompts that come up during operation. You also need to be able to control the software for unexpected situations, especially in initial runs. One other suggestion - incorporate a hardware E-stop into your design that cuts power to the spindle and axis motion instantly - something as simple as a relay with a normally close crash switch that simply hitting with your hand or anything else, drops the relay out, cutting the power supply to the drives and spindle would work. Do not try to rely on electronics and software to stop the machine in a true emergency. This switch needs to be at the machine. Something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NC-Emerg...387012?hash=item4aea4b5b44:g:288AAOSwrklVWc7k would be fine.

Roger that, 22Hornet. Wilco. Sage advice.

Now that I'm sticking the computer next to the mill, I'm reconsidering the UC-100. Oddly, it's less costly than the SmoothStepper and seems to be more of a real motion controller. Folks who replied here to one of my posts say it works well.

Sooner or later I'll actually have to order something.

Al-Hala- Thanks so much for putting all that together! It was very informative, and the Kmotion stuff is interesting and tempting.

At this point my to-do list has grown exponentially and amazingly quickly! I still need to finalize part selection and convert the mill. Then decide on software and learn how to use it. I also have a set of DRO's waiting to be installed for manual operation too. Hmmm..., Cut2D looks interesting.

It's endless! And then there's that pesky other thing that keeps getting in the way...

:) Yea, that other thing... Having to somehow squeeze in actually having a life.:rolleyes:

You are welcome; I am glad I could be of some help. As others have pointed out (along with a good summation of the product), you can download a trial of Cut2D and play; I found it more useful after I had performed some manual work, as I had a better frame of reference.

Most of the motion controller screens should have DRO readout on them, but it is based on commanded movement, not actual. You will be ahead with the direct readouts.

Your DRO units might also be useful for linear encoder purposes down the proverbial road (I will defer opening that particular can of wildlife for the moment), providing they are not the digital caliper-capacitor type; most of those seem to have a very slow refresh rate (10 to 24 Hz has been cited in the most recent thread I am following) which puts a considerable upper restriction on the higher feed rates possible. When you are bored, check out http://www.yuriystoys.com/, which is an Open Source based wireless DRO based around Android and a scale controller.

As to my other responsibilities, mine is away for a concert in another city, so it is time to empty that midnight oil pot *cackles maniacally*.

Last edited:
Your DRO units might also be useful for linear encoder purposes down the proverbial road

:+1:

If your DRO scales have a quadrature encoder output (most modern ones do), the Kflop would be a perfect mate to them. This allows you to ''close the loop'' and put the encoder on the load (table). It doesn't get any better than that. This still allows you to read the position using the DRO screen on the CNC software when in manual mode.

You have my sympathies with VBasic *shudder*.

While I admit that VB is somewhat limited, there are workarounds for most of it's limitations. I have done a number of ''impossible'' things with VB. :)

Well if you want really cheap and just want to get something to test your system with I just had this video pop up in my youtube subs.

Get this from banggood or aliexpress and buy a cheap driver board and your off with less than $200 bucks. The controller actually seems to be pretty well made. I do embedded stuff on the STM32f4 processor in this setup on a daily basis and they are great super powerful controllers.

Anyway check it out.

I should mention that I am a LinuxCNC user and it is truly the best low cost system out there. Get a geko540, breakout board, PC and Mesa board and never look back. I use the gmocappy screen set and it is very nice. YOU would be crazy to not investigate it further! On a production level Tormach used to sell machines with Mach3 and have tons of issues, they have converted over to LinuxCNC (Pathpilot, you can also request a copy for free as the interface is very nice) and everyone could have not been happier. LinuxCNC is a true professional level CNC controller.

You could go with the Mesa 7I92 Ethernet Anything I/O card ($89) and then run a Ethernet patch cable over head to the bench from your laptop or what ever you have running LinuxCNC.

Edit - Another great multi axis board is the MX3660.

http://www.automationtechnologiesin...p-based-digital-stepper-drive-max-60-vdc-6-0a

I've been looking around at software. Fumbled upon DesignSpark Mechanical. It's free! Registration is required for download. They are transparent about registration- free software- they want to send you product info. It is designed by RS Components/Allied Electronics. I use to drool over the Allied catalog when I was a kid. It seems to be amazingly complete, with add-on and libraries, etc., and well supported. I downloaded it without issue, and it's up and running. That's as far as I've gotten.

If anyone has used this, let us know!

http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/mechanical

Well if you want really cheap and just want to get something to test your system with I just had this video pop up in my youtube subs.

Get this from banggood or aliexpress and buy a cheap driver board and your off with less than $200 bucks. The controller actually seems to be pretty well made. I do embedded stuff on the STM32f4 processor in this setup on a daily basis and they are great super powerful controllers.

Anyway check it out.

That is intriguing. I have always been very leery of aliexpress or similar; no personal basis, but I just have the feeling I would be sticking my identity-slash-credit card into the proverbial shredder. Have you had any experience with such you could share with me?

I have bought many things (30+) from Banggood, they use paypal. It is very safe and I have never had any issues, if I did paypal has my back. Anyway delivery is usually 3-5 days when I order.

Never used aliexpress but plan too when I buy my DRO for the larger lathe and mill.

That is intriguing. I have always been very leery of aliexpress or similar; no personal basis, but I just have the feeling I would be sticking my identity-slash-credit card into the proverbial shredder. Have you had any experience with such you could share with me?

Back