Getting Started Basic Cnc Software

OK, I had a chance to check if Fusion 360 would run off line. Yes it does, so the licence is stored on the local machine. I also found that it runs faster when not online.

Fusion 360 has a comprehensive CAM function built in and the whole package is FREE

As an alternative, you might look at CamBam, not free, but pretty inexpensive @ $150

Thank you for checking out that it runs off-line. I watched some vids about it. What a nice, complete package. Even has a simulator. I'll no doubt use that once I get going.

I've been checking out other low cost/free stuff. Nothing seems to compare.

Great find! :encourage: Now you know more about it than I do. :)

I’m hoping for an assist by pointing me in the right direction for software to get me started in designing simple parts. \

Cut2D Desk from Vectric. 150 bucks, will take input from other CAD programs, simple to run, posts for any machine you can name- or roll your own, they have a guide. It's not free like Fusion. It IS dead easy to use. Really written for the CNC router community, but works just fine on my Tormach (either Mach 3 or Pathpilot). Excellent support from Vectric. Free trial (even generates a few posts from the tutorial) so you can check out operation/compatibility with your machine, but the trial won't post anything but their examples. No 4th axis, but available if you upgrade to the Pro version.

I've used a handful of other much more expensive/more features, but this one is my go-to for cutting something that's a beyond the Mach/Newfangled/Pathpilot conversational level but doesn't warrant hours using Sprut/Fusion/Autocad etc. Quick, easy, works.

At work I use DesignCAD 3d Max and BobCAD/CAM to program a 2.5d router. I hate the process - draw the part, export the DXF, import, transform, add profiles, then basically start all over if you have to change something. I'm doing some pretty simple stuff, so it works. One piece of CAD / CAM software you might check out isn't free but looks interesting for the $180 price tag is from Magic Systems (download the trial and get on their mailing list - you will get discount offers) It adds a CAM program into DesignCAD. The biggest advantage I see is that you can start out drawing in 2d, program parts and be making parts pretty quick. It will also do 3d when you want to go that direction. http://www.contourcam.com/usa/viewitem.php?productid=3 . I personally am learning Fusion 360 for my milling machine. I don't have an issue with it being cloud based, at least not at this time. Concerning the controller side of things - you might check out the CNC USB controller from Planet CNC. They have usb and ethernet versions, I believe. The software will convert DXF directly to G code, also. Download the software and play with it. It does require their own hardware to control the stepper drives. I'm curious about the cable length comment - you will need your PC right next to your machine, so i can't imagine a situation where cable length would be an issue in a hobby setting. If that won't work for what you have now, maybe you need to consider picking up a pc to dedicate to the CNC machine.

I have 2 benches, one directly opposite (withing reach) the other. I can put a stool between the two, spin the seat and reach either one. I hate running wire on the floor. I could go from the bench to ceiling, or off the far end of one bench where I don't walk then over to the other... stuff like that. It would be pushing the 15' or so USB length limit.

I have the mini mill and a mini lathe one the same bench. Not much room left over. Maybe keeping both on the same bench is just not going to pan out. Maybe turning my head to check out the computer whilst milling won't pan out.

Do I need to have the computer right next to the mill? Do you stare at lines of code going by while the mill is running? I'm just trying to cover my butt so I don't make bad hardware choices.

The sad fact is that I don't know. I have not done it yet- just finalizing my conversion equipment choices. I welcome anyone with experience offering info, advice and suggestions! I'm a poor suffering noob. :cry:

I'm curious about the cable length comment - you will need your PC right next to your machine, so i can't imagine a situation where cable length would be an issue in a hobby setting. If that won't work for what you have now, maybe you need to consider picking up a pc to dedicate to the CNC machine.

@SEK_22Hornet makes a really good point here, I can't imagine a situation where the computer would be remote from the machine.

EDIT: We were typing at the same time.

The normal position is that the monitor is mounted to the right of the ram on a mill, at about eye level when standing in front of the machine. Many times you need to look back and forth between the work and the monitor when setting up a part. I think it would be very difficult to have the the monitor/keyboard/mouse not available when setting up. Many times I have wished that I could have a monitor right next to the tool bit, not practical of course, but it would be cool. Hmmmmm, maybe Google glasses or some other VR type system. :cool 2:

Last edited:
Back