Geometric chasers

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I will do general threading for aluminum, steel, and 316 SS. I am finding various "hook angles" What should I be looking for in a DS style chaser?

I would advise caution threading 316 ss it is a *****. I have bought from quality chaser co, they are good for specials, I bought most from KBC.
John is sure right about 316 .
when I sold my shop I kept some of the material I had.
After all these years I have never used any of this 316 ***** stock. As John says.
Because of how it machines.
When I had to machine 316 I did it all the time because that is what the blueprint
called for.

Yes Dave I found a 3/4" MT4 head pretty reasonable. I do have 316 for marine use here, no project in mind, but I would like to be ready for the job. My last 316 project 4" stand off pole holders.

They look like they are electro polished ! :encourage: Can you post a picture of the head ?

The welds were electro/chemically polished, but every thing was polished before welding, then re buffed. I use my TIG welder with a CF brush, and Phosphoric acid to clean the welds. I will need a replacement arm for the side hole.

Those things are beautiful ! :grin: OK , so your going to use this in the tailstock I take it or do you have an MT4 holder for your tool post ? You better because I just sold one up at Cabin Fever for CHEAP . Either way , you either need a way to stop the feed to disengage the head , OR , you need a front mounted rod to hit a stop to disengage the head . This depends on the model of the head . I may have a handle downstairs , I'll look . What is the thread size for the handle .

It is a K33337 head, my tail stock is MT4. The arm is 7/16-20

Last edited:
I see that . You're going to be limited to a depth with that MT4 shank unless it is hollowed out . If you're doing short threads it won't matter . I dont see the extending arm on that head meaning it will only disengage with a feed stop . You would set your carriage stop to stop the tailstock from feeding in. This make sense ? I'll post a few pics of the heads downstairs . They all have hollow holders which allow you to thread the entire bed length .

Back