Gee, gee / Lucky me?

So just being nosey, what did all this set you back??(Im a little green with envy)

Value is remembered long after price is forgotten.

what did all this set you back??
US$450.00

That's not including the trailer, which I had already ordered from HF before finding this equipment, nor the scrap steel to fabricate the trailer hitches for 3 Miatas and a Sonata, nor the 5-4-wire converter to attach trailer lighting to the vehicles, nor the ball mount, or the towing ball, nor the welding equipment to assemble the aforementioned scrap steel.

I'm into all that "gooh-gaah" for another US$400.

So "Grand total" might be US$850 or so.

Should I view the tooling as independent expenses, since the trailer, hitch and welding equipment are all usable for subsequent projects? Some would (correctly) say I should include the amortized cost of the equipment and expendables consumed on the project against the total lifetime of the equipment.

How much of the trailer's US$175.00 price should I include with the lathe and mill? And the US$25.00 scrap steel? And the US$80.00 stick welder?

It's a MYStery how much I paid!

you got a lot of extras there finding a good lathe is one but the extras is where the real money go to
and you got a little fortune in acc.

"The Journey is Half the Fun"

extras is where the real money go
Amusingly, I'm looking forward to fabricating some of the most valuable fixtures and accessories using the Gingery books.

Naturally, the first task is constructing a forge with which to cast the accessories. There's great plans for a rotary table and dividing head, among others. Of course, home casting calls for a whole new skill set involving "fire!". Girls like playing with fire. That's why girls like welding. Getting to play with fire is a big reason why welding pays so poorly. Welders need learn extremely complex metallurgy and physics to successfully join a vast range of materials under a huge variety of conditions with multiple processes and tools with lots of different technologies. Many of those processes are extremely hazardous, and welders often operate in dangerous situations.

One would expect that such hazardous work requiring such great skill skillful in such hazardous conditions would pay very well.

One would be wrong.

At least in the USA, welder's pay is lousy, so there's a long term, large scale shortage of welders.

Why's the pay so lousy?

'Cause welders get to play with fire all day long.

Wow you stole that stuff, just kidding, that was a real find. I received a 9" south bend in good shape as a gift from one of the few true friends that I have. I also have the Gingery books and today I have been breaking up a cast aluminum wheel for casting stock. Only have seven more to go. Also stripped a mini water heater to make my furnace. Good luck with your casting project.
Elmo

Back