Gee, gee / Lucky me?

Man, if that thing followed me home I wouldn't be able to control myself and I would have to do a full on restore of it! Major tinker time!

Wow that is a very nice haul!!! How do you know that it was on a sub??

Chris

Whew!! Nice haul....sure wish I had all that tooling in my shop.:thinking:

First...Congratulations on a great find!

2nd you cant have a wife! Or you wont for long! LOL! My Wife (who is verrrry understanding would skin me alive if I unloaded my greasy, grimey "treasures" on her laundry space!

Seriously this as to be in the top 10 great finds. Just for the extras alone!

Congrats,

That is a very good find, it looks a pretty good condition for its age &just a nice size for home workshop use

Enjoy

A dramatic falsehood always trumps a boring truth

Wow that is a very nice haul!!! How do you know that it was on a sub??
The falsely dramatic drives out the truly boring.

That's the story the seller's son shared on my first visit to see the items. The same story arose several times, so it's possibly true, or possibly repeated so often as to BECOME true.

The seller reiterated the same story when I went to fetch the lathe, and the details sounded the same as the son said.

The seller mentioned the same details this past Sunday when I went to fetch the upper portions of the mill.

(The base portion of the mill required a separate trip, due to the weight. It's a mostly solidly block of cast iron about 36 inches high and 12x12 inches wide and deep, with 3x24x24 inch platforms on top and bottom.)

Last edited:
"Make your own luck" and "You can *always* spend more!"

what a find.
Verily!

I must've done something good to somebody deserving that karma would send such a pleasant bit of fortune in my direction.

Still, luck rewards the prepared, and I'd been diligently scouring CL on a daily basis for all the "major" sites within a few hundred miles: Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago usually have some interesting "bits-and-bobs", but only rarely worth making a long drive to fetch.

Reminded me of a similar find several years ago when scouring CL for since "better" wheels for a 1991 Miata. I'd been checking several times daily on each of the above-mentioned sites when I discovered a 1995 "Leather Package" (top-line-trim) with 8192 miles (on a 13-year-old car) offered by the original owner (with original sales order having the sellers name). Being mid-December, on the day AFTER a 10-inch snowfall, on the day BEFORE *another* 10-inch snowfall, only (shrewd) fools would shop for a 4-wheel, 2-door, 2-seat, drop-top "motorcycle." According to people more knowledgable than me, I paid "A thousand bucks less than a fantastic fire-sale price."

Lightning struck twice, but that's pretty common.

If lightning didn't strike the same place twice, there'd be no need for lightning rods.

Also, this guy wouldn't be famous.

it appears you have every possible tool made now
Under-accurate.

There's always another gadget, or gee-gaw, or widget to add to the tool kit. For proof, watch Norm Abrams' TV show for 17 minutes.

Same, same when I did photography. There's always another gadget for the gadget-hound to lust after. The hounds never discovered that skillphull imagers don't really need the fancy gadgets to create powerful and effective images. They need technical competence, a functioning camera, and a clear understanding of what they're trying to "say" and "how to say it".

Don't tell that to the guy who just dropped five or ten grand on fancy Nikon cameras and lenses, but still can't make images that "affect" anybody, like this or these, or these.

When I see those images, I'm immersing myself in the "feel of the moment", not the technique or tool to craft the message.

Same, same with metalwork.

The lathe or mill are certainly essential to the effort, and having a decent cutting tool is pretty important, but even with a minimal tool, a skilled craftsman can accomodate the tools' limitations.

I don't have a steadyrest or follower or rotary table, or taper attachment, or any of a THOUSAND other helpers.

No problem. I work around, or without or "beg, borrow, buy or steal" what I need, when I need it. (Or rent.)

[Wow. Windy here today.]

Careful what you wish for.

2nd you cant have a wife! Or you wont for long! LOL!
Would you REALLY want a spouse more upset about a fresh batch of greasy, grimy, [gopher] guts than pleased at your newest treasure?

Hardly seems a mutually supportive scenario.

My Wife (who is verrrry understanding would skin me alive if I unloaded my greasy, grimey "treasures" on her laundry space!

For one thing, they're neither "greasy" nor particularly "grimey".

For another thing, I protected the formica with plywood for the components that might scuff or scratch the surfaces.

And so far as putting tooling on the countertop, I'm more concerned with nicking the cutting edges than damaging the countertop.

In passing, the countertop is due for replacement with glazed ceramic tile, to withstand the heat of welding.

would skin me alive
Some methods of expiry are better than others. Flailing beats fire, but only barely.

Sounds like it's time to hire a good laundry service.

In the interests of peace, harmony, tranquility and nookie.

Last edited:
Back