Gear Tooth Count Calculation?

I'm most nervous about the electrical. She came with a single quick disconnect (on/off switch). I think I want to add three magnetic starters, one on/off for the PF, and one off/fw/rev for the drive motor, one for the coolant pump, and a 220v/120v transformer.

Electrical opinions?
Perhaps I should post in the electrical questions forum...

Daryl
MN

Sounds like over kill.
The machine already starts fine (I assume) with out adding starter switches.
The starter switch will take the load of starting the main motor, but the little motors used for the PF and coolant do not need them.
Your machine should already have caps for starting the main motor anyway, I think the only thing the magnetic starter will be protecting is the switch itself - switches are cheap, replace it when it fails.

Why a transformer? Just run a 220v circuit, and add a mini breaker box for the 110v stuff.
You can even get box's that include receptacles.
843ae48a-7c77-4efe-ac2c-ef176fbe964e_400.jpg

Why are you wanting the magnetic switches? If you are worried about power coming back on after a power failure, it might be good money for nothing unless you have frequent blackouts.

IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0227 (2).JPG I sincerely thank you for your questions about electrical! The topic continues to be a puzzle for me.
I expect the motors work. I hope to do start up this coming weekend.
Near as I can tell there aren't heaters or any kind of motor protection. Only the quick disconnect switch box.
There are a couple reasons I'm thinking about going excessive on the panel.
Firstly, it's a learning process. Thinking through the entire problem set, presents a challenge. Please note that I made the post here hoping to learn and understand. Both of which likely cause one to think differently.
Secondly, I've been tripping over the panel for a long time, some of the parts might actually work. maybe....
Thirdly, when I ran the THHN 6ga copper to the panel in the garage I figured that I might someday have a 50amp buzz box maybe. Now I have a 60amp TIG, a 20hp RPC, several lathes, etc ... depending on what I'm running, how many lights are on, and if the garage furnace starts, I get a trip at the main panel in the house. Only happens once a month or so. I'd rather it never happen.... Should have gone with 4ga!

If I had to spring for the panel and all the contents at new this would be a different plan.
Thoughts?

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Back