Gear cutting from scratch

I would just like to say thanks for the input some people provided to get me started with gear cutting ,The information was very helpful ,I've managed to make a couple of gears for practice just with number 1 modules but I can see now I'd be better of with modules maybe number 1.5 or up for what I want to do but at least I'm on track now ,I was furtunate enough also to be given some great books on gear cutting by a generous old gentleman ,books being
P.S Houghton gears
Ivan Laws gears and gear cutting
Calvin and Stanely gear cutting practice
Tha Caxton engineers hand book
Marshall gear wheels and gear cutting
Model engineers hand book volume 100 1949 .

The depth I'm still in doubt a bit but using a module 1 cutting I made the depth of cut at 2.157 mm I'm not convinced this is correct formula being known module x2.157 = 1x 2.157. This came from a web chart I found before I received the books the chart was from maryland metrics spur gear calculations .image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Have a look at the W.M.Berg program I posted above. What is the tooth count 46? Bergs program gives total depth of 2.251 mm.
Nice looking gear you have made.

Have a look at the W.M.Berg program I posted above. What is the tooth count 46? Bergs program gives total depth of 2.251 mm.
Nice looking gear you have made.
I'll need to wait to get to a Computor that can open the program as I'm limited to iPad most of the time even tho I have PDFs write on here I'm having issues opening the program . The gear tooth count its 48 tooth gear for the larger one and 24 the smaller one .

The gears seem okay and came out pretty good for a first go it's just the depth I'm still in a small amount of doubt about .These were for practice only however I may use them as a reduction for a power feed I plan to build for my mill at some stage .
Regards Nat

Hi Nat,
Ran through Shop Calc and it came up with 2.157 mm however Bergs program says 2.251 whole depth,(2.000 mm working depth), and as gears are their business I go with their recommendations.
I saved using the print function and files saved as .xps, unfortunately these cannot be uploaded to this site with this file extension, sorry.
Amend that, I have put them in a zip folder and that has uploaded O.K. Hope you can open it .
Cheers,
Barry.

Attachments

• Gear specs.zip
    323.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi Nat,
Ran through Shop Calc and it came up with 2.157 mm however Bergs program says 2.251 whole depth,(2.000 mm working depth), and as gears are their business I go with their recommendations.
I saved using the print function and files saved as .xps, unfortunately these cannot be uploaded to this site with this file extension, sorry.
Amend that, I have put them in a zip folder and that has uploaded O.K. Hope you can open it .
Cheers,
Barry.
Thanks for that Barry ,appreciated seems the calculation I used was about correct then ,it's a learning curve but good results which is encouraging for future gear cutting ,I have also fitted a 3 axis DRO on my mill since I made these gears so it's a bit easier and more accurate to set the depth in future .i will take a look at the attachments when I get chance thanks

Regards Nat

Back