G9729 Left Hand Thread Cutting

90amp tig or mig. I always get the two mixed up! No gas just the wire feed which kept sticking and messing up! There must be some kind of "You Failed" award given by this forum! LoL

I could probably just Bondo up everything and paint it. Who would know?

OK. You said wire so that's a MIG. You said "no gas" so that means you're using fluxcore wire, which works similar to the flux coated welding rods of a stick welder. As the flux burns it pulls impurities out of the weld and creates a shielding gas to prevent the oxygen in the air from contaminating the weld. If you're using regular unfluxed MIG wire it won't work without gas. If you're using flux cored wire (or plain MIG wire with gas) DON'T blow the smoke away with a fan. It blows away the shielding gas. I'd bet the farm you're using unfluxed wire or a fan or both. Fix that weld, it doesn't look like it'll hold up two butterflies.

Yup, it's a MIG with flux wire. I popped the hood to see what's going on and the spool was a little too tight and adjust the wire feed rollers. The wire now comes out the end in a constant flow instead of "herky jerky" no "worky!" I also tapped the bracket with a small ball peen and like "exanzella" said it just fell off. Glad a couple of butterflies weren't on there! LoL I cleaned all the "welding warts" off both pieces with a grinder. Put everything in a plastic bag for another day. Next year is looking good!!!

20160126_160921_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to preheat the steel a bit. Makes for better welds for machines that are not powerful enough on heavier gauge materials.

Here's my $40 wonder machine. Meaning "I wonder why I bought it!" Couldn't be the machines operator.

HF%2090amp%20MIG_zpskujcvuga.jpg

Last edited:
Can't read the model but that should be fine for what you're doing. There's a spray for keeping spatter from sticking to your contact tube. Get some if you can.

On a mig welder, I believe if you switch from using solid wire with shielding gas, to flux cored wire you need to reverse the polarity. I Got an incredible deal on a little used Lincoln 110V mig. The seller said he just couldn't learn to use it. His welds looked just like yours, so I paid what he wanted (very little), brought it home, read the instructions, which clearly explained having to reverse the polarity (your HF instructions may not have been clear on this), and it's been welding fine for 2 years now. Good luck, JR49 PS, If you need any kind of welding advise, there are some very knowledgeable guys over on the welding sub-forum

Check your polarity. Wire is opposite from Flux Coated. Also make sure you have a good, "clean steel" ground setup.

Check your polarity. Wire is opposite from Flux Coated. Also make sure you have a good, "clean steel" ground setup.

Pretty sure it was because the wire feed was out of adjustment and the coil of wire was too tight. Gonna give it another try next week. Got a roof leak that ruined my living room ceiling to deal with at the moment.

20160128_155929_resized.jpg

Last edited:
"WOW! He's what I'd have to call a "Master Machinist!""

A master machinist would buy a master machinist's lathe. The guy who made the "Home made lathe" is probably a master tinkerer. A master machinists wouldn't waste time on reinventing the wheel.

I can hardly believe anyone would sell a lathe without a simple tumbler. Shame on Grizzly.

I have a Drummond lathe sold in England 75 years ago that came without a tumbler, but I really find it amazing that anyone would sell one now without one. At the very least they should sell an optional tumbler.

"WOW! He's what I'd have to call a "Master Machinist!""
A master machinist would buy a master machinist's lathe. The guy who made the "Home made lathe" is probably a master tinkerer. A master machinists wouldn't waste time on reinventing the wheel.
I can hardly believe anyone would sell a lathe without a simple tumbler. Shame on Grizzly.
I have a Drummond lathe sold in England 75 years ago that came without a tumbler, but I really find it amazing that anyone would sell one now without one. At the very least they should sell an optional tumbler.​

In this case, Grizzly, "You pay less you get less!"

I never learned to cut threads yet, but it seems that even when I get the idler gear installed, and I have to change the gears around for different thread pitches, it may not even work for left hand threads.​

Last edited:
Back