G9729 Left Hand Thread Cutting

But remember in #14 above I scraped that motor idea and went back to the idler gear as pictured above.
Oh, I see that now. A while back I saw a video of a guy that made a tumbler for (I think) a Grizzly lathe. He did it by accessing the first gear out of the headstock so it was up high and he could still change the gears below. It was pretty slick. I'll try to find it.

Oh, I see that now. A while back I saw a video of a guy that made a tumbler for (I think) a Grizzly lathe. He did it by accessing the first gear out of the headstock so it was up high and he could still change the gears below. It was pretty slick. I'll try to find it.
There have been a number of tumbler additions to Grizzly lathes. I posted some drawings of what I had done to the G0602 here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/g0752-left-handed-threading.36983/#post-315574

Take the lead screw out of gear (neutral), hand crank back to correct dial number and then re-engage lead screw.
The threading dial only works when the leadscrew maintains a precise phase relationship to the spindle.

Spent the day fabricating an idler gear assembly. Will post pics later when wife comes back with the laptop from Girl Scout meeting. All I could find to use was a piece of angle iron. Looks terrible but will work. Lathed out the idler gear shaft.

20160125_195454_resized-2.jpg 20160125_203134_resized_1.jpg 20160125_152036_resized.jpg View attachment 120438 After installing the bracket I found out that it does work but will have to be made more stable. Going to cut off the bottom and weld the bracket to a 4x6" plate for more stability.
20160125_152036_resized.jpg View attachment 120438 20160125_195454_resized-2.jpg

Last edited:
I made a reverse tumbler for my G0602. Maybe you can adapt this system to your model.

EDIT: I didn't see that RJ had already posted a link that had the "RC Don" version, which is what I used. Worked perfectly, gears were cheap, just made my F/R lever a bit shorted is all.

IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1947.JPG

Last edited:
Just "who" wouldn't be invious of my welding? Man what a "mess!" My little HF welder just wouldn't cooperate! Maybe I could touch it up with some Super Glue!

20160126_102501_resized_1.jpg

I made a reverse tumbler for my G0602. Maybe you can adapt this system to your model.

EDIT: I didn't see that RJ had already posted a link that had the "RC Don" version, which is what I used. Worked perfectly, gears were cheap, just made my F/R lever a bit shorted is all.

View attachment 120465 View attachment 120466

Don't think it would be feasible the way mine is setup. Have treadmill stuff already. Just have to get my act in gear to get-r-done! Hope there's now welding involved. LoL

What rod/amperage are you using? Assuming your HF buzzbox is an AC machine, 1/8 inch 6011 rod at 100amp (+ or - 10%) should weld that up just fine.

90amp tig or mig. I always get the two mixed up! No gas just the wire feed which kept sticking and messing up! There must be some kind of "You Failed" award given by this forum! LoL

I could probably just Bondo up everything and paint it. Who would know?

Back