G9249 (12x37) Lathe Restoration

Nice... I have the same lathe except it's branded busybee. Mine has a 2 HP 3ph motor and VFD.. decided to install a DRO now. It's nice to see how the scales are attached to your lathe before I do the same
@TorontoBuilder Mine is a 2HP, but sadly single phase. Would have love to have the 3 ph and installed a VFD. I may down the road, but for now this works. Of course, I am always on the look out for deals to enhance my lathe.

So when do you expect to move it all to your workshop? Is that months or years away?

So when do you expect to move it all to your workshop? Is that months or years away?
@wachuko I am hoping it will be less than a year. We are looking for that retirement location now. Haven't even decided on a state yet. Have a trip planned over to Idaho this month to check out an area.

@wachuko I am hoping it will be less than a year. We are looking for that retirement location now. Haven't even decided on a state yet. Have a trip planned over to Idaho this month to check out an area.
Oh wow, so a major move! I thought it was just moving around in the same state...

Cool! Best of luck!... I have friends in Boise, Idaho that I visited last year. Great place.

Oh wow, so a major move! I thought it was just moving around in the same state...

Cool! Best of luck!... I have friends in Boise, Idaho that I visited last year. Great place.
Thanks very much. I have a friend that I grew up with recently move from Oregon to Idaho. He is a pilot and purchased a home in a flying community. I am looking forward to dry land and having a shop again. We will have to see if I end up with a separate shop (my preference) or am relegated to the garage.

On top of all of this, looks like I may be going back to work too. Another aerospace company wants me to come to work for them. Best part is they want me bad enough that I will be working virtually so it won't inhibit our move. Not a done deal yet but looks good. If it goes forward, will be the first time I have worked as a Contractor instead of an Employee. There are pros and cons to each.

@TorontoBuilder Mine is a 2HP, but sadly single phase. Would have love to have the 3 ph and installed a VFD. I may down the road, but for now this works. Of course, I am always on the look out for deals to enhance my lathe.

I highly recommend the 3 phase and VFD. If you ever have a problem with any of your electronics it's worth it to just gut the thing like a pig and replace virtually everything... except the transformer, the e-stop button and 28v safety circuit and one contactor, and in my case since I already had the muscle memory I kept the lathe's rod mounted directional switches. I just connected them to the VFD with new wiring. I'll take a pick of how I did things if your interested.

I added a rpm meter, forward and reverse jog buttons and a potentiometer to a control box on top of the lathe, but I'll be redoing that when I get the DRO installed since I got a DRO with RPM input that accepts more magnets versus my single magnet meter. It makes a difference in accuracy of the readings when you do things are very low rpms... which for me is spring making and potentially threading.
I hope you have fewer adventures and travels with your lathe in comparison to mine...

That looks like it uses the same way wipers as the grizzly G0709 / G4016 /G9036 and the Birmingham and Enco versions.

If so and you have a 3d printer, my 3d printed versions can be downloaded and printed from printables.

They work on the tailstock too if you don't mind drilling and tapping new holes.

Attachments

• IMG_20221010_165253307.jpg
    IMG_20221010_165253307.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221010_140029641.jpg
    IMG_20221010_140029641.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 7
Papa Charlie: Did you add some leveling screws to the gap piece? I just noticed that and was wondering..
-Mark

Papa Charlie: Did you add some leveling screws to the gap piece? I just noticed that and was wondering..
-Mark
Not sure exactly where you are referring to. But on the scales, I did not add any leveling screws. The scales have slots on both ends and the brackets that came with the scales also have slots to help in the adjustments.

I hope this answered your question. If not maybe include the picture in the thread you are referring to.
Patrick

Your lathe is a gap-bed lathe and on the removable gap piece it looked like there were some extra bolts with nuts at the bottom where
it fastens to the bed, looked like a modification from stock
-M

Back