G4003g Change Gears Noisy

DM1114, if you would to take a look at the gearbox side facing the tailstock, you can see that the side is a 1.25" thick cast iron plate with two oiling ports. Now this plate is held in with three socket heads. Remove these socket heads and the plate will come off. What you should see are THREE, NOT TWO, oiling ports. One hole is circular and the other two is oval shaped. For the life of me, I could not figure out the necessity of having that cast iron plate in place; in my opinion it's becoming vestige. I could not find that cast iron part called out in all versions of Grizzly G4002, G4003, and G4003G manuals.
Now, with that plate off, the top oiling port goes directly into the top portion of the gearbox. The top portion performs as a shallow oiling pan/reservoir. The bottom of the pan has two or three additional holes situated above the gear assembly where it should be lubed. So the top oiling port needs to be squirted with oil generously. The other two oiling ports (oval shaped) go directly to some shaft bearings that need to be lubed.
Hope this helps.

I want to make sure I understand your post. Are you saying you take the endplate off every time you oil your transmission rather than using the two factory supplied oiling ports?

epanzella, I guess you could, but I'm planning on removing the plate permanently and storing it. I'm basing on assumption that G4003, G4002, and G4003G gearing and structure designs are basically identical; the manuals show that G4002 and G4003 do not have that plate part. I've a mind to use these three oiling ports instead of two until I'm shown that the plate needs to be put back on.

epanzella, I guess you could, but I'm planning on removing the plate permanently and storing it. I'm basing on assumption that G4003, G4002, and G4003G gearing and structure designs are basically identical; the manuals show that G4002 and G4003 do not have that plate part. I've a mind to use these three oiling ports instead of two until I'm shown that the plate needs to be put back on.
The exploded view in my G4003G manual doesn't show that plate either but in the oiling section it shows the two oiling ports and instructs to oil the transmission there. I'll have to take that plate off and take a peek underneath. A long time ago I read a post in which a guy stated that he takes a cover off to get to the "other" oil port. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about but I bet he meant the same thing that you're referring to.

A followup. I looked up and compared the G4003 and the G4003G manuals. It looks to me that the headstock is bigger in the G4003G and that plate extends the transmission so it's flush with the headstock. The G4003G has a smaller headstock so the transmission and headstock are flush without that plate. Could the plate just be for looks??? Seems like a pretty hefty plate to be cosmetic.

I agree that it's kind of beefy to be cosmetic. However, I'm wondering if the G4003G inboard spindle bearing has wider race than the one in G4003/4002, thus accounting for headstock size difference. But we're looking at 1.25" difference!

I pulled my plate off last night. (G4003) Couple things. I got the lathe used and it didn't come with original manual, I got the manual (PDF) for the G4002/G4003 from grizzly.

The manual does not show the plate. I have the plate. The manual shows 3 oil ports. I have two. The oil port for the power feed bar is not there but my plate is cut away and allows direct oiling of it.

I removed the plate and I can see right down to the top of the lower gear box shaft bearing. On mine, the plate definitely shields chips away from that so I will not be leaving mine off.

If I look at the manual for the G4003G it looks more like mine

" year of manufacture stamped"
jmanatee,
On my G4003G, it is stamped above the INCHING button. When you mentioned the plate shielding chips away, I think I'll leave that plate on just as well. Thanks for the insight. Maybe, later, I'll modify the plate to take care of lubing the power feed bar bearing. :)

Ortho,

I looked by the buttons the only thing stamped is the "Mach #" I assume that is the serial number. can it be decoded?

DMan,
When I was playing with the plate and oiling it I looked at my change gears.... I have a little play in them, I don't think you should have them real tight because I think they will grumble

Stens 770-123 "00" Grease!

I've tried just about everything and this stuff makes my change gears super quiet. The only negative is changing the gears (sticky mess). The color is a semi-clear light blue gray. Much cleaner than the open gear lub.

Amazon has it for 22 a quart. I'm guessing one quart will last me 10+ years

Back