G4003g Change Gears Noisy

Dman1114

Active User
Registered
Since I've changed the motor on my g4003G its a lot quieter....

now i hear noise from the change gears.....

If i drop the main gear out of the way and run the lathe it is very quiet. but then i don't have a any power feed or thread capability.

Ive played with the alignment and the back lash but i can't seem to quiet it down much .

is there a special lube that may help?

thanks in advance

Yeah, I've had to fiddle with mine to get them quiet. You might try Napa open gear lube. About $7 for a spray can.
Dave

I did notice on my G0752 they were pretty loud but I think I had the mesh too tight.

Jim

i'd expect a bit of gear noise unless you can get the lash set absolutely perfect , my fav lube to use that might help quiet them is motorcycle chain lube , it stays on the gears and doesnt collect debris

I also use onroad type motorcycle chain lube on my open gears & prefer it over everything else I've tried. It's a "dry" lube but goes on wet then dries to a tack. As said does attract debris. Someone posted a lube they used where it had a webbing effect. I don't like wet lubes like that cause they're messy and attracts debris.

One thing to consider, one or more of your gears might not be perfectly concentric (OD & ID). So if you think you set gear mesh pretty well, it could tighten up in another spot. I always rotate the spindle a few times & check when setting gear mesh. A piece of paper between the gears can be used as an aid if you need. I find with my lathe if gear mesh is too tight I get a sort of grinding type sound under power. If too tight I get a ringy sound. I adjust so I eliminate both sounds.

Do the norton change gears on that model get any lubrication? I've hit all the oiling points on my lathe, but I don't see where any of those oiling points reach the open gearbox.

I've been hitting each gear individually from the underside with a pump oil can.

IDK .... but i stick the oil pump hose under there and just pray and spray.... hoping they stay nice and lubed....

Ill stop at the local Cycle shop and see what they got.

P1050038_zpsaepc4uu0.jpg

I just happened to have some of this and gave it a try. Worked much better than oil although open gear lube might be better still :)

The G4003G has two oiling holes on the side of the Norton gearbox facing the apron. These are for lubing the quick change gears with an oil can.

DM1114, if you would to take a look at the gearbox side facing the tailstock, you can see that the side is a 1.25" thick cast iron plate with two oiling ports. Now this plate is held in with three socket heads. Remove these socket heads and the plate will come off. What you should see are THREE, NOT TWO, oiling ports. One hole is circular and the other two is oval shaped. For the life of me, I could not figure out the necessity of having that cast iron plate in place; in my opinion it's becoming vestige. I could not find that cast iron part called out in all versions of Grizzly G4002, G4003, and G4003G manuals.
Now, with that plate off, the top oiling port goes directly into the top portion of the gearbox. The top portion performs as a shallow oiling pan/reservoir. The bottom of the pan has two or three additional holes situated above the gear assembly where it should be lubed. So the top oiling port needs to be squirted with oil generously. The other two oiling ports (oval shaped) go directly to some shaft bearings that need to be lubed.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back