G0752Z/G0602 Compound rest adjustments

"For the compound, where are you considering the thrust bearing to be? Can't identify it on the parts diagram"

In this case, it is the lead screw mount itself, P.N. 224.

Compound rest backlash is really not an issue.
True. For threading, one is just going in one direction. Actually, I find the loose graduated dial to be far more of an annoyance. I've lightly touched it dial by accident and it moves quite a bit. It would be better if it took a bit more torque to move the dial.

"For the compound, where are you considering the thrust bearing to be? Can't identify it on the parts diagram"

In this case, it is the lead screw mount itself, P.N. 224.
Thanks. That makes sense.

I will check the leadscrew for wear when I remove it. Your HM thread on your lathe was quite amazing. You did a lot of work on it! Is it possible to make the nut from acetyl in a similar style?

I can't see why not, i just used brass because I had it.

Take note that the barrel nut has to be a precision fit in its bore, a very nice tight sliding fit to minimise backlash.

Take note that the barrel nut has to be a precision fit in its bore, a very nice tight sliding fit to minimise backlash.
Yes, I understood that from your post #8 of this thread. Acetyl could be pressed into the bore for a tight fit. Have both brass and acetyl to try. I'll buy the nut from Grizzly as well, since it isn't very expensive.

Roger, give it a go, what have you got to lose, except for backlash.

Just a reminder, the front plate on that compound was not satisfactory as shipped. I think you have both plates(?), the original and the one I made to improve the leadscrew alignment.

Last edited:
Back