G0752Z/G0602 Compound rest adjustments

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Trying to adjust the backlash on the compound rest on my G0752Z. From the instructions, it says to loosen the set screw 231 and turn the threaded collar 230. Did that, but can't seem to do better than 0.009" backlash. Grizzly says to not try to do better than 0.003", but I am far from that! The handle gets harder to turn but the backlash doesn't improve. I used a dial indicator to check when the compound actually moved. Is this the right way to measure it?

Also, the compound graduated dial seems loose, so loose it nearly spins freely. The dial on the compound is a lot looser than the one on the cross slide. Is there an adjustment for the compound dial looseness? Any suggestions on how to get it less free wheeling?

I've got 0.008" lash in mine. Your threaded spindle runs in a round nut which is just drilled and tapped radially for the thread of the spindle. If that's worn, that's the best you'll get.

I have a thread called " my workman, my way ", here somewhere and it shows what i made to overcome this, i still haven't installed it, been too busy, but its the only way I have found to overcome cheap engineering.
As Ben says, its not a serious issue, and it hasn't really bothered me but if it bothers you, try that mechanism and you'll get better than 003" backlash.
Cheers Alby

I checked my compound backlash and it is .005". There are two components to the backlash. The play in the thrust bearing and the fit of the lead screw. You can remove almost all the thrust bearing play but as far as I know, there is no adjustment for the compound nut.

Heres the link if you're interested.
Got to post number 29

I've got 0.008" lash in mine. Your threaded spindle runs in a round nut which is just drilled and tapped radially for the thread of the spindle. If that's worn, that's the best you'll get.
That's a good data point. That is part 206, which is called a barrel nut. Might be worth replacing then. Only costs $2.25. Yeah, worth replacing! Might help. I'll take it apart to see if there's anything else worn. The small parts seem relatively inexpensive on Grizzly.

You're right, but the issues i found was,
1. Worn spindle thread.
2. Wear or too much slop between the barrel nut itself and the bore it sits in.
These amplify your backlash to create a cumulative error

I checked my compound backlash and it is .005". There are two components to the backlash. The play in the thrust bearing and the fit of the lead screw. You can remove almost all the thrust bearing play but as far as I know, there is no adjustment for the compound nut.
For the compound, where are you considering the thrust bearing to be? Can't identify it on the parts diagram.

You're right, but the issues i found was,
1. Worn spindle thread.
2. Wear or too much slop between the barrel nut itself and the bore it sits in.
These amplify your backlash to create a cumulative error
By spindle thread, are you referring to the compound rest leadscrew?

Back