G0752Z/G0602 Compound rest adjustments

Just a reminder, the front plate on that compound was not satisfactory as shipped. I think you have both plates(?), the original and the one I made to improve the alignment.
Yes, I have them both. Yours is installed on the lathe. I just think the nut (or screw) may be worn, when I take it apart it will be obvious. Neither is an expensive part. OT was facing some foot pads on the lathe. 4" diameter 1/2" thick 1018. Cut without any drama.

Yes, I have them both. Yours is installed on the lathe. I just think the nut (or screw) may be worn, when I take it apart it will be obvious. Neither is an expensive part. OT was facing some foot pads on the lathe. 4" diameter 1/2" thick 1018. Cut without any drama.
Yea, completely possible that the nut was worn as a result of the torque from a misaligned lead screw.

Glad you're satisfied with the handling on the 1018.

My G4003G (now 4 years old) has about 0.009 of backlash.

There are two components (mentioned above) the leadscrew threaded member and the thrust bearing.
The thrust bearing can be set as close as about 0.000,3" without adding a lot of friction to the setup.
The threaded member can be set so there is just a hint of friction on the handle--but this results in about 0.010 of backlash.

In any event, if you are using the dials correctly (proper technique and monitoring movement with dial indicators) up to 0.100 of backlash is not going to harm the parts--it just makes you hate using the machine.

Proper technique with ~0.010 and BL is realistically not an issue (and I have no DRO on this machine either.)

Back