G0602 threading issues (not disengaging the half nut)

I'm not home right now, but of that 2 gear stack (120 & 127) how to you pick which is engaged or how do you disengage one??

I'm not home right now, but of that 2 gear stack (120 & 127) how to you pick which is engaged or how do you disengage one??

There is a spacer bushing which slides off the input shaft to the gear box. The gear should be put on first, then the spacer. If you had the lathe set up for metric threading or power feed, this arrangement would have been reversed.

One thing leads to another....
I haven't played with this gearing setup...just the 2 small ones (40 & 36) looks like the keyway is broken...weird how the 127 tooth is connected to gears above and the 120 tooth is connected to transmission....what spacer? If I wanted to move small lower gear over to engage....it doesn't appear to move more in unless that is a spacer on that lowest shaft? Your saying for TPI I need to take out 127 tooth? As you can see, there will be gear engaging issues.

Attachments

• 2019-06-23_16-27-39_529.jpg
    2019-06-23_16-27-39_529.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2019-06-23_16-29-38_068.jpg
    2019-06-23_16-29-38_068.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 17
  • 2019-06-23_16-35-59_751.jpg
    2019-06-23_16-35-59_751.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 17
Should be able to move that small lower gear in by swapping a spacer, or else you just flip it around

Last edited:
Wow....figuring this out, can't believe this isn't covered in the manual. Need to loosen the ball oilers that is square...then shaft slides up/down on arm. The lower gear requires some massaging to get the shim off (that really could use a better bevel on it to get a gear puller or at least a flat edge to wedge in there)...I'll alter that a bit. The top shaft with the 120t will require something to shim that in, perhaps a very small gear that can't touch anything. Ordered a new keyway bushing to replace that shattered one, wonder how long that was like that.

Looking closely at the picture I think RJ is correct- 12.7 tpi-- just slightly coarser than 13
Yeah....that would make sense to what I'm seeing. Crazy how that was setup...have no idea if it came like that, never cut threads yet, i assumed it was set to power feed setup....I literally have a few hours on it. this has been quite the learning weekend!

Yeah you pretty much have to check everything on these things- don't assume anything- but now you have a better understanding, more than if you just turn it on and use it
You may have to raid your junk box for washers and spacers or make what you need
I think it was set up to cut metric as you received it

Last edited:
One thing leads to another....
I haven't played with this gearing setup...just the 2 small ones (40 & 36) looks like the keyway is broken...weird how the 127 tooth is connected to gears above and the 120 tooth is connected to transmission....what spacer? If I wanted to move small lower gear over to engage....it doesn't appear to move more in unless that is a spacer on that lowest shaft? Your saying for TPI I need to take out 127 tooth? As you can see, there will be gear engaging issues.
OK, Sean, In the first photo the spacer is behind the gear. The gear has to be pulled off and then the spacer can be removed. The gear is then put back on the shaft followed by the the spacer, the washer, and the cap screw. The gear will then engage the 127 tooth gear. In the third photo, the bushing is is broken and will need to be replaced. It is P/N P0602715. The 127 tooth gear also appears to be backwards. The boss should face the tailstock Also, you need a second gear, normally the 120 tooth gear, to keep the 127 tooth gear in place. I have taken some pictures of my lathe and will send them later. Mine was actually set up to cut 12TPI.

Right now, I am being summoned to do a fish fry so I'll have to adjourn until later.

Back