From Inventor to Fusion360

Brento

Registered
Registered
Sooooo unfortunately I lost all of my previous drawings and models from inventor because I no longer can use inventor without getting a trial somehow or do I just bite the bullet and start fresh and not worry about it. The files I am losing are not the important to me right now. I would save them just in case I decided to upgrade my fusion360 because then I could always recover the files and convert them then. Is there any other option I could possibly do?

Can't help with your current drawings. If you don't want to worry about losing your future drawings due to some change of heart of a faceless software company, you could try out FreeCad. Multiple platforms are supported. Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is free. As in free forever. Fully parametric 3D CAD design. Fully featured.

Been going through a video series to teach myself. Seems to be very comprehensive, so far. Finished lesson #7 out of 25. I've gotten some good great help from HM members, which has made the process a lot easier.

Why don’t you pay for a subscription?

Inventor is close to 300 a month. Not worth it. Fusion360 is 60 but i guess instead of paying for it right now I’d rather test it out
Fusion 360 is free for the hobbyist. Here is an example of what can be done (including drawings) with it.

To archive old drawings and models, I would save them as DXF and IGES or STL files when I got the chance. These formats are pretty much universal to most CAD, unlike proprietary formats like SLDPRT, SLDRW, SLDASM, and DWG.

I have that problem with DWG drawings. I have quite a few that I can't open easily, having lost access to AutoCAD. Dassault's Draftsight worked while it was free but the price now is more than I'm willing to pay for the few times a year that I need to view a DWG file. Fortunately, I never got too deep into Fusion and never created any drawings or models of archival significance.

@WobblyHand can you make drawings with freecad? What are the files saved as.
Yes. Unfortunately I am not all the way through learning this, so not an authority on this. From FreeCad docs I see:

Import/export to standard formats such as STEP, IGES, OBJ, STL, DXF, SVG, DAE, IFC or OFF, NASTRAN, VRML in addition to FreeCAD's native FCStd file format.

FreeCad is natively a 3D CAD tool. But I do know that one can make 2D dimensioned drawings from 3D models. Both orthogonal views and isometric. Technical Drawing Workbench

Sooooo unfortunately I lost all of my previous drawings and models from inventor because I no longer can use inventor without getting a trial somehow or do I just bite the bullet and start fresh and not worry about it. The files I am losing are not the important to me right now. I would save them just in case I decided to upgrade my fusion360 because then I could always recover the files and convert them then. Is there any other option I could possibly do?
I have a seat of Inventor Pro 2022.
If you need a file converted I should be able to do it for you.

Back