Friends or mentors in machining....

Several senior friends in their 70's who were 50+ plus year machinists in the paper industry when the NW had a share of the market. One who trained as a lad using the South Bend booklet on how to cut tool bits. I still call Lyle for tips on running the small lathe.

Senior fire fighters I worked with years ago told me some of the stations were turning out war production for Boeing during WWII. In the early '80's I walked into several machine shops with Boeing parts scattered about. I'm sure those of you from the east coast could say the same as tool making was born in New England. It's been a hidden part of our workforce for a long time.

I have two friends who are expert machinists. One is about 55 and worked at The Oil Well Supply Company his entire working career and is the one building that model of the Buckey tiling machine I have been posting on this site and we share and help each other all the time. He was a customer of mine when I started my garage in town back in 1975 when he was fresh in the trade and have been friends ever since. Rick has now retired to his shop on the his farm.
The other one is probably around 74 and is still running the shop his father started around the early 1900s. He basically works alone although he has an other old retiree help from time to time. If I need an odd ball tool or idea he will gladly help me.
1/2 of his shop is still line shaft driven ( much of the original equipment his father started with). Like stepping back into history wooden floor and all. Later an addition was put along one side with concrete floor and houses more modern machinery where most of the work is done. His father started this machine shop to service the oil producing industry so much of the work done here was for oil pumping equipment. The oil industry started here with the first commercial oil well in the world just down the road a couple miles. He still manufactures the barrels for the oil well pumps from brass and is the only one left doing so. When he goes the oil producers will have a dilemma unless someone else takes over. He would like to see a young person take over from him but is not hopeful. He has no children as he got married late in life as he was always too busy for a social life which he now regrets. But such is life. He can repair anything with his world of experience. He too has been a friend since 1976.
Nick

Back