Friends or mentors in machining....

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I was just wondering.

How many of you live where you have a few good friends that do home shop machining close buy , and get together and discuss projects and borrow tools from each other?

Would love to have that around here (NYC) and have a mentor or a couple...

Nelson

I have no one here in E. TN. I perview the forums daily, and ask questions when I get stumped.
I have learned so much from this and a couple other forums, if I lost my internet, I'd liquidate my shop!

Chuck in E. TN

The woods is full of machine shops here in oilfield east texas, but I don't know of any hobbyists that tinker at home.

When I lived in the San Diego area there were several of us that did get together, hung out in each others' shops, took trips to vendors, scrap yards. etc.

Basically there are very few people I actually get together with to talk about machining now. I am a member of the Houston Home Metal Shop Club, which in theory, is a great organization, but realistically I am no longer a NooB and the other experienced members are scattered across Houston. So it is very seldom that a group of us can just go for lunch and shoot the S--t.

I get most of my machine shop socialization from this board and others.

Randy

There are machine shops all over the place around here, I just do not know of anyone that does it at home. All my machining friends and mentors are right here at this site. ;)

I've been fortunate to made friends with a gentleman who's been in the business most of his life. He's taken an interest in what I'm trying to do and will frequently stop what he's doing to talk. He's doing this for a living so I limit my visits obviously but I learn something every time I talk to him. I feel extremely fortunate:)

I have my friend Benny from this forum that I see or talk to about everyday & whom has given me tons of tools/accessories so I'm very fortunate. Also Bob (OlecatBob) or something like that who also lives very close and I see at the scrap yard quite often.

There are several of us locally who are retired or semi-retired. We swap material, tools and lies, oops, I meant info. There is a 16x48 SB, 10L SB, 14x40 HF, several vertical mills, and one horizontal mill. Works out very well for all of us.:))

I know quite a few machinist boys that are local to me. Being in the racing industry all my life, you seem to run into many racers , that are machinist as well. Its something that goes hand ,in hand. Many racers, are machinists/ gear heads.
Ya, we pass by each others place to see what going on. Talk about fast cars, fast women, and how fast they go,,lol. Kick around idea,s, some regular machining problem, some totally insane idea,s. Then back to fast car, and fast women. Opps allready said that.

For me this forum is ALL. I live on top of a mountain and own the only lathe in town. 7x12 ( In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King ) no other home shop machinist that I have heard of at all.
Allways looking for new machinist friends .
Regards Brian.

Back