Fresno - Craigslist Lathe Scam

Turns out when I clicked on the link you describe and choose "call using iPhone"

OK, that is a feature that I can't see on my computer screen, and I don't have an iPhone. Learn something new every day :)

That's only because the iphone is seeing that ID number as a phone number. Just mark it down as yet another incompatibility issue with an Apple product.
It's more than likely not a scam, just a dingy seller on Craigslist. There are thousands of them.

Hi Jim, thanks for clarifying. Turns out when I clicked on the link you describe and choose "call using iPhone" CL connected me to the phony 583 area code number - same number as the ad ID number - where I heard a 'non-working number' announcement. The seller hasnt responded to my CL message either. So, looks like there is no way to communicate with whoever posted the ad.

Glenn
+1 the number is not a phone number:
If you clicked on that number using an iPhone, the phone mistook the number to be a phone number and tried to dial it. Thus you got the "non-working number" announcement.
Click on the "Send Note!" button, that's the best you can do for now, be patient some people don't check their email every day.

If it's a scam, the guy is the hunt for the dumbest scammer ever award. It's pretty hard to scam anyone if you can't be contacted by potential pigeons. More likely he's up for the least successful ad award. I think he just forgot to put in contact info.

Tom

Shame. I have a 14" Mulliner I'm restoring and I'd be on that 12" like stink on an ape if it was on my side of the country, if only for the taper attachment , steady rest and micrometer stop.
-James Huston

That's only because the iphone is seeing that ID number as a phone number. Just mark it down as yet another incompatibility issue with an Apple product.
It's more than likely not a scam, just a dingy seller on Craigslist. There are thousands of them.

Actually the function was written into the Craigslist software. CL dialed my iPhone and rang the number - didn't work unfortunately.

Probably The guy is doing me a favor. I have three lathes now, two of which are nice old machines, but still need restoration. I need another lathe Iike I need another trip to the dentist.

Actually the function was written into the Craigslist software. CL dialed my iPhone and rang the number - didn't work unfortunately.

Probably The guy is doing me a favor. I have three lathes now, two of which are nice old machines, but still need restoration. I need another lathe Iike I need another trip to the dentist.
Yes indeed it's a glitch n the CL app. Just tried it on my phone and it does the same thing, extracts an erroneous phone number from the post id number.

It reads like the lathe is in Fresno California. Isn’t that a little too far of a commute? I have drove/gone just 15 minutes on a CL ad only to find out the seller was clueless on his description. A total waste of my time. I would hate to drive through several states on just a CL ad with a similar seller mentality…Dave

Agreed, long distance looking is always a bit risky. But we are headed to the Bay Area next week anyway, so it would only be an hour drive more or less to go look. We have something of a drought in decent machine tools here in the Northwest, so if the price is right, and the machine in decent shape, shipping is a realistic option.

And so far the seller is something of a ghost, haven't heard from him and no way to contact- so the whole thing might be mute.

Glenn

Glenn, an hour drive/commute might happen. But it has been my experience in the last 15 years or so. Trying to get anywhere in the Bay area via car has been a giant headache. The freeways are now parking lots and not a speedy way to get around. I stay home more and more these days. And I use my Sigalert iPhone app religiously!…Dave

Back