Fresno - Craigslist Lathe Scam

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
View attachment 138277 View attachment 138276

Well, after seeing a nice looking antique Milliner Enlund lathe on Fresno Craigslist for $800 I thought - might be worth buying another lathe!

So emailed the poster and no reply. Turns out they list a 583 area code as their contact phone. Only problem is 583 area code does not exist in the USA. Mr. google shows a liteny of scammers using spoofing 583 area code to rip off unsuspecting victims.

So this add seems to be a fake. Why they run the ad with no contact info is beyond me, but there it is. Anyway beware of this lathe if you are looking on Fresno Craigslist.

Glenn

At the bottom of the add click the send note button and CL will contact him by e mail then he can contact you

Glenn, I wouldn't give up on this just yet. Not saying it isn't a scam, but for the reasons stated above there is no indication of a scam on it's face.

I have seen many ads where people did not put a way to contact them. But you can contact craigslist through the link on the ad and they will get in touch with the poster for you. I have done this a couple times.

I also agree with everyone above. When I post an add I never put my contact info. I don't need people calling me at 3 am to ask what colour it is or is it still available. Just click the contact Craigslist button and send a quick message and he will get back to you.
Cheers
Martin

I suspect his wife is making him sell it because he's always in the shop. So no contact info, no sale.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

Yep, tried the Craigslist messaging thing . Didn't work. No reply.

Why would he/she post an ad with a false phone number if they weren't a scammer? Oh well, just an alert that sometimes, it is not what it seems...

Gpb

Glenn, I think you are a bit confused here. The 5837862372 is not a phone number, it is the ID number of the ad, assigned by Craigslist. There is no contact information at all in that ad, hence the little ''Send Note" button at the bottom. When this button is clicked, Craisglist sends an email to the seller telling them that they didn't leave any contact information in the ad, and thus no way for buyers to enquire about the item for sale. Without any contact information, there is no way for any potential buyer to contact the seller.

Hi Jim, thanks for clarifying. Turns out when I clicked on the link you describe and choose "call using iPhone" CL connected me to the phony 583 area code number - same number as the ad ID number - where I heard a 'non-working number' announcement. The seller hasnt responded to my CL message either. So, looks like there is no way to communicate with whoever posted the ad.

Glenn

Last edited:
Back