Free Vocational School Classes?

When I took the conventional machining courses at the local community college you could actually register as evaluation only. You don't have to pay the price for full credits but you had to wait for other regular students to complete their needs for the day (depending how cool the instructor is). Which means you had to wait for machines & tooling so you might not get any machine time if it was a busy day. But they did offer 2 days in the week for "catch up" time so you would likely get to have machine time on those days. Again you wouldn't get credits for the courses & would receive the completition certificates but if you just wanted to freshen up & see what the knstrjctor bad to offer it is a good inexpense method.

My instructor was very cool & let us work on our own projects & gave us credit for them too. He was on verge of retiring from teaching, luckily for my my timing was perfect as he retired right after I completed the entire program. Really liked that instructor & I learned a lot of tricks from him. He's probably riding his Harley somewhere right now or at the beach drinking a beer.

Hi Guy's.....u think its bad there, try Europe......now retired, mechanical engineer.....we had night school for extra training, had 2 pay my own hard cash..I was an apprentice auto mechanic.......managed 2 get my Vincent Shadow back on the road though......worked as many places as poss after the apprenticeship....mostly heavy engineering, cranes etc.....never got 2 use the machines though......did what I could but was told by the boss, nay lad, use the machine.... them cost to much....
so once I got settled saved hard and bought my own and self taught......that's why I'm here....still learning...
I was told, keep ur mouth shut and ur eye's and ear's open.....how right that saying is eh.....
When I had my own place we fixed anything that had oil, gears' and nut's and bolt's......times were a bit difficult but a close friend ran a semi engineering / mechanical class at a local college......offered the chance for a few or just even one lad to learn, "hands on".....just part time u understand......
wanted to put something back....
at this time apprenticeships were only available to the very rich companies, the like of "Rolls-Royce Aero" etc....I even offered cash payment, a bit better than beer money.....plus other freebies.....Nobody even came to look......
I lie awake thinking about what I've learned and what I can't pass on....a life time of experience going to dust......sad in't it.......

Incidentally when I was 20'ish u could always get job's done.....living in Manchester (cotton town) 1 off's no problem....there were loads of small machine shops based in those empty cotton mill's.....(cheap rent).....now, unless u want a 1000 or more nobody can do it......well not under the price of a small house in Bolton....
I will be moving to Crete, Greece quite soon and I'm going to try to find a kid that wants to learn.....that country is having a hard time and perhaps there's a lad that want's to learn...that's the only way out of a rut....
don't know about over there, but our young men seem to more interested in make-up and hair product's plus the latest i Phone and of course sponging of the parents....where did we go wrong......or perhaps I'm just plain wrong.....!!!!!!!!
It shouldn't be like this.....

Oil on ur shoes......hahaha
Clogs......

Clogs, well said and good on ya to pass on as much as possible. I do believe working and loving metal is genetic need for some folks. I was not allowed in any shop class in high school, but have pursued metal and mechanics as a lifetime hobby. It is sad that many homeowners can not use a screwdriver and hire foreigners to repair their pvc pipe.

I find for the price to have most things done, I can buy the tools to do it. Who dont like more tools

Especially today's costs. The price of the new tool is quickly covered, even if mistakes are made. You must forgive yourself, and press on.

As far as the apprenticeships go here in the Chicago area they still have them. I went through one (Inronworkers Local 63 Chicago) and it is a great way to start in the trades. Our school is still growing and changing to meet the changing market. But yes accross the country Unions are down. But I also think they are going to have a big surge as people remember why they were created in the first place. Just my thoughts on it, Mark

Radio ad Portland OR...something like "elevator mechanic and installation apprenticeship". Recently.

Reactions: Z2V
For those of you that are 60 or older, check the local community college. All the schools classes are free to seniors over 60.

Back