Free Vocational School Classes?

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
In the USA we have a Federal system of grants for education. One is the Pell grant and there are others. Most everyone will qualify for these grants, sometimes more easily qualified for the money if you have not been to college before. Especially the Pell.

Just something to think of. Make a call to the local community college or vocational school. All will have an admissions department and can let you know what grants you might be able to get. Because they get the money and are interested in you going there.

Grants are not loans, no need to pay them back.

Likely not enough for a full degree for no cost but probably plenty of classes to learn machine work.

Don't overlook it.

Cadillac. An interesting topic and very relevant to the US economy and US mindset that rejects vocational training and jobs. Recently I sense an uptic in attention to e.g., welder training and jobs. One article recently showed a person who pursued auto tech training and was plucked out of class before graduation by a desperate local auto dealer. Making $40K ain't rich , but mid point for the college grads who can find jobs. Welders appear to be in demand also. We need a reality check . Not everyone is going to start his/her own business , succeed and grow it with "digital" enhancements as the constant ads suggest. I have noticed a severe drop off in vocational traing at city and junior college. Maybe it can expand again.

I just graduated from a 20-month machining course a month ago. I'd advise anyone to look long and hard at the course and, if possible, ask current students for their thoughts on the course. The one I graduated from would have caused any of the great apprenticeship teachers of old to throw up...

Pat, So what is the problem with the course you took compared with the old ones?

Job Corps is also an option for some students. Depending on the area there are building trades, auto trades, office trades, and maintenance trades available. The auto trade the center runs where I work is almost identical to the course offered at a local community college. Free room and board plus training compared to $50,000 plus at college. It isn't for everyone because of the need to relocate away from home. Completing High School while there is a requirement. They will help students obtain a driver's license so they can get to work after graduation. Job placement help is included with local transition experts. There are several advanced training options to further their educations.
It isn't "jail" like many think. Income limits do apply.

Our class was not enough hours for any kinda aid. But money very well spent. Our teacher is awesome. I gave him two months free landscape service he was so awesome. And he has some pretty serious credentials to his credit. So that was not an issue for us. What was some issues?

School would let people join any time they wanted. So we could be starting gd&t and the new guy dont even know what a tail stock is yet.

You dont get fired from tech school for being stupid. 2 out of 20 will make machinist one day. 4 out of the 18 left would make decent machine operators and the rest are just slack jaws that had no clue this was hard. Yet every single one of them will one day be beating on doors with their cnc machinist papers.

Standing in line to use the only good tool of it's kind that everyone needs. Thus why I had a good bit of tools before I had any machines. I dont like to wait.

Some tools we just did not have. Like mill stops. Every student had to make 2. 1 for them 1 for the class. Even though none of the slack jaws got the second ones made...

No rhyme nor reason to how the place is put together. End mills in every draw, get to looking. File? Some place I'm sure..

Not near enough machine hours. Lucky for us the teacher left the book work for us to do on our own time more or less.

What about joining a union in the trade you want to learn? Start as a helper and learn as you go along. Union hall has setups to learn new skills when not on a job. Learn through Journeyman and get paid along the way to do it?

Do they do that anymore?

Reactions: Z2V
The apprenticeship program I tried getting in was sponsored by IAM. In the big picture, it's kinda a joke. Florida aint a union state. It's a solid idea but relies on a handful of small comps to need help and none of them currently do. So thats a whole year gone, try again next year.

Pat, So what is the problem with the course you took compared with the old ones?

I'll need some more time to compose a novel to answer this... give me some time, I'll give you a nice read later on.

Well , the US was forced into a new era with the globalization thing. As old craftsmen retire the remaining mfg cos are forced to import skilled people. Corporations have got the upper hand in union busting. I have been on both sides-teamsters and big corporations. There are dirty deals on both sides, but I believe we may be on the brink of another pendulum swing to restore income equalities. People should have more opportunity than as food and health workers. As the Chinese push back at home and increase wages more offshore jobs will return here. Seems like many Americans want to learn skills besides the keyboard.

Back